Snails

Hi guys I wondering if anyone can help me, I have been away for a couple of days and have come home to quite a few really tiny snails that I never had before. I'm not sure where they have come from. Can anyone help?

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Can you post a photo?
images

reefer gladness

What kind of snails have you added? Trochus snails reproduce very easily in a reef aquarium so long as proper reef chemistry is maintained.

The only snails I have is one true Mexican turbo and a few Trochus snails. These guys have come from know where. Should I do any thing with them?

frisbee

It's kind of hard to tell from that picture, but my guess would be Collonista snails. (harmless grazers) These often hitchhike there way into our tanks and reproduce quite rapidly.

Do they look anything like the ones in this picture?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I agree with the ID of them being Collonista Snails. They are good to have (I have LOTS of them :) )
I see them in the late evening & early mornings on the glass.
I've heard they are a good replacement for many of the bigger snails as CUC. They do a good job.
Mine are mostly white with a hint of pink & grayish brown scatter about them.
There are 3 in this photo on the glass:
null_zps17f12ac2.jpg

Yes they do especially the markings on the shells but on a smaller scale, the tank is just about a year old and they have just appeared. Are they ok just leave until they grow a little?

reefer gladness

Wait til they grow, considering you've already added trochus snails the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of the babies also being trochus. Appearance will be similar at early stages - the common trochus we get is also called the spiral-banded trochus.

Totally harmless, this is free CUC for your tank. The population will stabilize over time depending on how much is there for them to eat. This is why trochus are the staple algae eaters in my tank because they reproduce easily and I don't have to re-stock the CUC.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
So far the 100's of them in my tank have just proven to be good CUC. I've read that they are very good to be able to clean film algae in places bigger snails cannot get to.
I've read that they may cause problems with clogging equipment if they get into say the skimmer & cause it to malfunction.
If there isn't a food source for them the population may dwindle...or if you don't like the looks of them manual removal is not hard to do with netting off the glass when they get on it.
I think I'll just be liking the idea that they are FREE CUC in my tank. ;)