Silicon Precautions???

ScottT1980

Hey guys, I have decided to turn a 30 gallon tank into a new refugium to get rid of my unsightly rubbermaid fuge. I need to make baffles and I forgot what I need to look for as far as aquarium safe silicon.

It is much cheaper and I can get more "bang for my buck" if I use the big tubes at the hardware store vs. the tubes at the LFS. I remember seeing a thread on some site regarding the issue but I can't seem to find it. Ccan someone help me out?

Thanks
Scott T.

J

jupiter

Easy. If you want the Home Depot cheapo stuff it's GE Silicone I (often called silicone rubber, sometimes called 100% silicone) Windows and Doors. Just make sure it is not mildew resistant. I will warn you that silicone II also reads "100% silicone" but it isn't good to use.

Most of the debate that goes on about which one to use has to do with mildew additives. People seem to think that only II has additive when if fact both I and II can have additives but they can both have none, as well. The problem with II is that, although it is a stronger bond out of water, under water it falls apart, esp. holding glass to acrylic.

Silicone I smells like vinegar when it's curing, II smells like ammonia. If you aren't sure if you got the right stuff, squirt a bit out and smell it.

HTH

essmaker

PREMIUM
I also bought mine from Home Depot. I don't think it was the GE Silicone, but it said right on the package that it was safe for aquarium use. (A lot cheaper than the LFS)