Sick Fish

ukawesome7

I Noticed Last Night My Pearl Scaled Butterfly Fish Was Acting Funny. This Morning He Was Swimmimg Sideways And Having Trouble Swimming At All . It Has What Looks Like A Film On Its Eyes . Now My Saddleback Clown Is Doing The Same Can Anyone Help Me ? I Dont Know Whats Happing.
Thanks Ukawesome7

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
sounds like something is out of whack.....have you checked your water parameters? high nitrates could be causing stress, in turn, opens up for disease/infections.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
(moved to saltwater fish forum)

Can you post a photo?
Are they gasping at the water's surface?
Rapid breathing?
What are your water parameters? (salinity, temp, ph, ammonia, nitrIte, nitrates)
How long has your tank been established?
Have you added any new fish recently?
What other fish are in the tank? Are they showing any symptoms?

If it is brooklynella or marine velvet, you will need to act quickly!
Can you move them to a hospital tank for treatment?

ukawesome7

yes they are swimming towards the top of the water . the butterfly is breathing heavy the tank has been set up over a year and a half , i did just put in the butterfly 2 weeks ago and a small yellow tang . the other fish seem to be ok . the salt water store her does not open till 4:00 cst and i think they have a hosptial tank. will all so have the water checked again

ukawesome7

I will post water parameters when i get them. my wife has my digital camera when she gets back i will post a pic.
I once had a clown fish that had brooklynella and it doesnt look like that one did. the two new fish that i got was in a tank by themselfs for two weeks. then i brought them to the main tank

ukawesome7

many purple and red, green mushrooms, green star pholps , 5 med riecordeas,keenya trees 1 small leather, 1 large devils finger. 4 serphats stars 1 hairy lobster hermits an astrieas snails

tippMANn98

sorry, i meant about you water, how are the nitrites/nitrates, ammonia, pH, all those good things, it could be just that its a butterfly, I feel that they should be left alone to the ocean, only are a few species that acctually do well in captivity

ukawesome7

oh ok cant get water checked untill 4:00 cst it just after 3:00 now i will also caii them before i go to see if they a rescue tank

tippMANn98

it would probably be too stressful to move it to somebody else's tank, woodstock asked if YOU had one, that would be more Ideal, once fish start swimming like that, its sad to say, there isnt much more you can do, next you have to find out why this happened, so when you get your h20 tested, let us know, i would also suggest getting your own test kit, so you dont have to rely on your fish store, they could get false readings, you really dont know how clean they keep their test tubes...know what im sayin?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
If it is a parasite and not water quality, the properthing to do would be to remove all the fish and treat in a seperate QT with a possible DIP first. Also, the tank would now be infested (if it is indeed a parasite) and would infect any new fish added. A fallow (fish free) period of at least 8 weeks is necessary to starve/kill the parasites.

ukawesome7

my water parameters are ammonia-.25----nitrate-40--------nitrite-0-----------ph--8.2------phos.--1.0 they said it looked like pop eye-body slime they have both fish in QT doent think the butterfly will live but the saddleback is still eating and they are hopeful it will survive

Last edited:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Ohhh the LFS is going to QT them for you?? I wonder if they disinfect the QT between treatments...
Did they mention treating the fish for any parasites?