shroom splittin... going under the knife

kyle1284

can i just take a razor and cut right down the center of a shroom to make it split? and/or grow others? or should i cut off the cap and super glue it to a rock?? What cut will allow them to grow the fastest? How would u reccomend doing this?
Right now im putting phyto in the tank and their eatin it UP, THEY LOVE IT!!

Gina

RS STAFF
You can cut with a sharp razor right down the center of the mushroom. Do this in a separate container of water. I would not use super glue as it probably wont work well for you. I think what most people do is use wedding veil material and wrap the shroom in this around a piece of rock. Usually after a week or so the mushroom will attach itself to the rock.

daveat

what i do is either first remove the whole shroom for the original rock (peel it off so that it is whole) then cut it in half, sometimes if it is big enough i will cut it into 1/4's then i place them in a pop bottle bottom with some live rock rubble. this lets them sit on the rubble in a low flow area and attach all by themselves.

if you can't get them to readily peel off the rock (first step) then cut them in half making sure to go through the mouth then try to peel off one or both halves as this makes them easier to get off sometimes

you can go to frags.org and get some more info on shroomin as well as other corals