Shrimp shedding

Dennis7

Over the last couple of months mt coral banded and skunk shrimp shed every 1 - 2 weeks. My understanding is they shed when growing, will they grow that quickly? They are much larger than when I first got them 10 months ago, but I really don't see any noticeable growth in a week. Also the first shrimp to shed is the coral banded, always around the same time of day and then the next day like clock work the skunk sheds. Is that common for shrimps, to have a schedule like that for shedding?
It's not that I worried that they are sick, because they are very healthy, just want to have a better understanding of their behaviors. Has anyone else ever exprience one shrimp following a schedule of another?

reefrunner

Contributing Member
It is possible that it is shedding due to growth, but at a 1-2 week schedule, it is more likely it is shedding to rid itself of toxins like iodine. Shedding takes alot of energy for the shrimp, if the schedule is too accerated, you will eventually end up with a dead shrimp.

EdgeKrusher

My coral banded would molt only once a month before he was executed for attempted murder, assault and battery, conspiracy to commit murder. He nipped my Ocellaris one too many times. I know, I'm a bad person, but I figured a 10 dollar shrimp over a $32 fish was worth it. My peppermints molt everymonth on the 4th day of the month about 2am, yes sadly I've noticed this happen for the past 3 months.
Do you supplement Iodide?

Peace

EK

Dennis7

No I don't supplement with Iodide, but all my water parameters that I test for are find. Unfortunately I don't test for Iodide.
The shrimp appear to be extemely healthy. The skunk shrimp even sets up his cleaning station. Both will eat out of my hand.
The colors on both of these guys are great. They both grew about 3 times the size when I first got them. I will monitor them to see if their molting slows down. Thanks for the replies.

jks1

thanks reefrunner, i didnt make the connection between iodine and molting, maybe i'll rethink my additive routine.

mredman

I really like coral banded shrimp but they can be bad boys. The cleaner, blood and peppermints all part of my shrimp crew with no problems.

Mike

essmaker

PREMIUM
My two skunks molt about once a month. I don't dose and don't see anything in my feed that could be iodine. I thought it was just a part of there natural routine.

Kinda like our bodies are continuely losing skin cells.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Molting is part of the natural order. All crusteceans must molt to grow, but they will molt to rid their bodies of toxins as well. They dump the toxin into the shell and shed it, if they do this too often, it will kill them. Just my opinion, but the salt mix and the foods we feed contain enough iodine for any critters that might need it and there is no reason to dose iodine.

essmaker

PREMIUM
Sounds good to me. Is there an iodine test kit? Can't say that I;ve ever seen one. Not that I have looked though.

I would surmise that if there is a test kit, there is some gurus idea of what an "ideal" level of iodine is.

Anyone know?

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Is there an iodine test kit?

Yes there are lots of them, but most are a pain to use and difficult to read and unreliable. If I dosed iodine, I would use a salifert kit, just cause I like their other kits.

there is some gurus idea of what an "ideal" level of iodine is.

NSW level of iodine is .06ppm or 6 parts per billion, since iodine is an antiseptic, I see no reason to keep levels above that.