Should I consider starting again

blue_eyes53813

I was in the same boat as you are. I set my 125 up a year ago and the liverock I put in there was not cured and it was sent From California to Wisconsin in the dead of winter. The rock was actually froze when I got it. I put it in the tank and it was a terrible mess for a month or so. Each water change it got alittle better and with in about 5-6 months had tons of bugs and worms and dusters.Not to mention it stunk bad. My living room smelt terrible. I didnt notice if you had a skimmer on the tank? I know that is what helped mine alot. It will work out . Hang in there. I think I even used a hang on filter with carbon for a few weeks.

David

Here where I live, the live (I use the term loosely) rock is appauling. Dead rock with algae on it. And that's some of the best you can get at $20AUD per kilo. Or about 7 bucks US a pound I figure. Pretty rich seeing as how this stuff is gathered not more than 10 kilometres away.

At the other end of the spectrum, if you pick some up yourself off shore, it is that heavily laden with sponges, coral, clams and various other unfortunately sensitive goodies, that a relatively small quantity of fresh rock will wipe out an established aquarium in the space of a day from ammonia poisoning.

Too much or too little. Isn't that always the way? <Sigh>

BoomerD

Well David, you could take that nice fresh rock & cure it in a trash can, then add it to your tank. Elimintate the ammonia cycle in the tank. Maybe pick off some f the cherry stuff, and keep it in a small aquarium until you're ready & sure it's safe.

Crakeur

if you're concerned about building a pod population, head to ipsf.com for inlandaquatics.com

they sell sandbed, liverock and fuge critters

pods, stomatellas, mini and micro stars, worms of all kinds etc.

or get a scopp of live sand from an established tank.

David

Yeah, BoomerD, that's the idea. It's just a shame that you can't buy something here that is at least half way reasonable.

Heh, the funny thing was, there was a rumour going around at one point that the rock from the sea had something that was killing the nitrobacter and nitrosomas (spell check), because people were seeing the ammonia for the first time in months/years.

I was not overly impressed with that rumour. Must've been started by the rock gatherers. :smirk:

openbrain

Good job Man!!!! I'm impressed with what you've done so far, you are doing a great job..... In time you'll have the tank of your dreams, keep up the good work. To help the curing process I used a small powerhead to blow off the rocks, (held it in my hand) this works much better than a turkey baster.

Maxx

wow....got plenty of good answers here w/ some good folks helping out.
You're in good hands Willmsbrg.
Nick

Willmsbrg

Most definetely some good advice..

I do believe things will be fine based on what everyone here has mentioned. I'm glad this forum is here.. with a wonderful group of people..

Thanks again All.. :)