Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

I don't think it is the Anemone. One thing I do in situations like this is to add Kanaplex to the food. It is a broad spectrum biotic. You have to buy another product called Focus which binds the medication to the food. Both are from Seachem. They are not cheap, so the best way of getting it into the fish is via food.
The thing is they treat internal problems. If fish are dying with no obvious signs, then the problem could be internal?

Pancho75

Sorry to hear about your fish Shaun, I do not believe either the BTA stung them, I think they would have fell inside the anemone. I also thing you may have a bug killing your tangs. It should be some disease in my opinion, Nobby has more experience on this I would follow his advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

I’ll do a bit more of an update on the few casualties I had recently, but all is now well and once I’ve gathered my thoughts i can document what I think and what I’ve learned. I stopped dosing Medic after just a few days as I don’t believe it was necessary.

As you may recall, I had a Triton ICP test and despite my Red Sea Magnesium test kits always showing very high levels, the ICP test said is was low at around 1224ppm and not 14-1500+. I then discovered the accuracy of my kit (+/- 100ppm!) which they now show on at least part of their web site (they never used to) although it now looks like newer versions are out. Mine is still in date but clearly absolute rubbish.

Today I did a Red Sea calcium test with there kit which I’ve always used, last one 460, first one today 270, second one today 280ppm! Still in date. So I was thinking maybe the buckets of magnesium powder I’ve been adding have depleted the calcium, because I appreciate they are linked. So I was about to do a big Calcium top up, having done 2 tests from my trusty kit, when I thought NO Shaun. On this very day the new NYOS Calcium and Magnesium test kits arrived along with my Aqua Medic fish trap/acclimatisation box.

So I tested Calcium again and the NYOS came out at 460 which is in line with we’re it should be, not 270!
Result - Red Sea Calcium test kit in the bin

So then I thought I’d try the NYOS Magnesium.
So due to low magnesium levels discovered from the Triton I calculated (see previous posts) that I would need around 335g of Foundation C (Magnesium) to bring the levels back to around 1310ppm. Over the last week I’ve been bringing the level up and have added around 240g so far. When I tested magnesium it came out today at 1290ppm and that means I need to add around another 100g of magnesium powder to get to 1310 which is pretty much spot on with the results and calculations from the Triton ICP test results working back.
Result - Red Sea Magnesium test kit in the bin (well it already was!!lol)

If you haven’t tried NYOS then I would, because they are in my view just better, they are. The syringes, vials just feel more accurate, the tests are easier to see the results. And the error margins +/- are much much smaller. Just my view and you can clearly see I’ve fallen out of love with the Red Sea kits, the magnesium of which could have/did cause my system serious issues.

I was looking at lack of growth from corals, which I have never had, and was putting it down to ‘coral warfare’ and their chemicals etc but it’s very likely to be a lack of magnesium and some are starting to look much better already

Have you read war and piece............ I’ll stop now! Lol

Pancho75

I think we all tend to favor Red Sea because of our tanks but we have to understand they have some weak products like the C-Skim, test kits and the mesh cover...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

As I said before, the only Red Sea test I still use is for Phos, as my results with this tally up with the ICP results. I was also surprised at how far out the Red Sea mag and calc tests were. I binned them ages ago.
So, you have a major positive from your first ICP test!

SPR

An interesting thing that I’ve realised, is that I have a lot of fish that I’ve had since I started out, like the Yellow and Regal Tangs, Blue Throat Triggers, Chromis, Damsels, Dougy my Blenny, and many more and these are all unaffected by any possible issues that arose, if there were infact any, in the tank. So all of my core marine friends, thankfully, are alive and well and thriving with no signs of any illness.

So all of the long terms inhabitants are fine, but some of the fish I’ve added in the last 6-12 months are the ones that seem to have suffered, not necessary recently, and this leads me to think that although they were ‘allowed’ to live in the reef, they may well have been doing so under a cloud and threat from the other fish, and as such didn’t completely fit in or fully accepted. To this end many have, over a period of time, succumbed for whatever reason, starvation, reduced immunity due to stress etc. There have been a few, and it’s only when I think we’re is that wrasse, or whatever you realise that they’ve gone!

Adding the sea anemone may have brought some bacterial issue, but probably not. At the time the Chevron Tang passed, I had forgotten that he had had a small round batch on his side, that had been there for 6 months, and I often wondered what it was and possibly that was what killed him finally.

I think we forget that when we’re adding new fish to our tanks, were interfering with the homes and territories of the existing occupants who have their boundaries and don’t want us messing with them, and I can now understand why new fish are often harassed to death when I happily drop them in expecting them all to get on like long lost friends. They basically don’t.

Anyway, all is well so let’s get back on track with a picture one of my new marine friends......

10754855232_IMG_3308.jpg

Last edited:

SPR

I’m about to go away (yes I know again!) for some Bahamian sunshine and this time the tank will be unattended for around 11 days.

So who has run without, or without changing the filter socks in an S Series for any length of time and did you notice any difference, maybe dirty sump, or did the skimmer take care of it?

Nobbygas

Just remove the old-fashioned socks completely while you are away. Make sure your top-of-the-range deluxe milk container is empty as well. Put new batteries into the auto feeder......and put some food in it. I would suggest pellets and not flake. Make sure there is enough water in the ATO.

There, is that better!