SeaSiren wants to start a dwarf seahorse tank!!!

SeaSiren

Hi

I am taking on the Dwarf seahorse venture I have done alot of research on the subject and have read alot of different things...i have heard that you can keep a small herd in a 5g tank or in a 10g tank....they breed fast and quickly....so i don't want to become overwelmed by them but I love them....I was going to keep a small tank with say 3 to 5 couples and go from there. But I have heard that the filtration has to be key...I do daily water changes anyway in my seahorse tank....but I have been told that I need to hook up to a sump so that I can have heavy filtration and a protein skimmer seems that that its overkill for a small tank....I was told to use fake plants no sand and ...I would like others advice I want to do this right and start this off right if 5g is to small than maybe a 10g I can keep upgrading I have larger tanks but...I don't want to purchace to many pairs and be overkill....so advice is welcome...do you think i should just start with a 10 gallon and say 10 pairs and then what type of fitration would be adequate I have a nice Aquaclear 50 I think that would be adequate for a 10g and with daily water changes should take care of the bioload i can always use a small skimmer if its felt to be necessary but I would like the tank to look natural I understand the bare bottom for ease of cleaning but a bunch of fake plants doesnn't feel right to me...any suggestions on how to design a dwarf tank?

Thanks
pam

DaveK

I'm not much of an fan of hang on the back filtration. I don't feel that you can get decent filtration out of them. The big issue I have is that it's almost impossible to use any chemical media with any of them.

I think a 10 gal tank would be a better choice. Ideally using a sump would allow some really first class filtration, but yes, I agree it's over kill. Even though they also have limitations in SW, I would opt for canister filter, because it's possible to use with various media. Yes, I know using canister filters is SW is considered almost a sacrilegious act. You might need to reduce the flow and put a sponge over the intake to keep and babies out.

I quite agree that plastic plants and bare bottoms look terrible. I would use about 1" of fine sand. Not the sugar sand, but a grade of two courser. I'd also use LR at the usual rate of 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per gallon. I'd grow Caulerpa species and possibly other SW plants. Since you plan for a good water change schedule, I don't think you'll need skimming. The live plants might need some time to grow in, and Caulerpa sometimes does go into it's reproductive cycle where it turns almost clear and dies. Just in case, I'd have a few plastic plants ready just in case.

Keep in mind that what I'm recommending is for someone like yourself that has some experience with SW, and some idea about what they are doing. For a beginner, they would be much better off with a bare bottom and plastic plants.

SeaSiren

Thank you DaveK...I agree I figure I will start off with 3 pairs and go from there I know they reproduce pretty frequently...I agree bare bottom and fake plants makes it look so artifical so I take your advice on the one inch sand bed with some fake plants I have an abundance of Caulerpa growing in one of my biocube is grows like a weed but the water quality is excellent in that tank I am always having to give it a "haircut" so to speak because it grows like posion ivy...and on everything..and it will overwhelm your corals...I have recently just relocated a huge rock full of it to a larger tank that I will be keeping larger species of seahorses in for help with filtation and for holdfasts as well...I may also add some to the dwarf tank as long as it doesn't get to out of control in there it would be nice to see the horses...lol...and I agree i am very diligent with water changes I do them daily in my clown and seahorse tanks as to keep down the nitrates..the only hang on the back filters i have found to be decent are the aquaclears they seem to do a pretty good job overall...but thank you for your advice on the subject it is much appreciated.

Pam

cynster

Sand is ok as long as it isn't live sand from a tank :) The reason is because dwarf owners don't want hitch-hikers. Plants are actually really good for them, but again, hydroids and other organisms might hitch-hike. You can treat the tank with panacur and watch for creatures you might not want. I agree that bare bottom tanks look bad x_x - there -are- some plastic plants out there that look real. They come in large patches with some variation and I have been very pleased with them. I have them in my tank because I'm bad at keeping plants alive.