Search by geographic location

jaysthename

Hey gang, I'm wondering if there is a way to search the forums/website for members based on their geographic location? I'm interested in finding out if there are any other reef enthusiasts here in or around Portland, Oregon, and I didn't see a way to search for that. Thanks in advance!

prow

i just typed in "reef forums portland" got a bunch of listing try that in a search see what you get. or try reef clubs if thats what your going for.

KodiakBear

How is Portland lately? I grew up just outside of Corvallis, OR. Unfortunantly, I haven't made it back to the Valley in over 3 years.

jaysthename

i just typed in "reef forums portland" got a bunch of listing try that in a search see what you get. or try reef clubs if thats what your going for.

Hi Prow,

Are you referring to a search you did in Google? If I go to the search function on this site and type in "reef forums portland" I only get two hits, one of which is this thread ;)

I know I can find a lot of info on Google, but I was trying to limit my search specifically to individual members on reefsanctuary.com, and didn't know if there was a way to search members' location info or not.

jaysthename

How is Portland lately? I grew up just outside of Corvallis, OR. Unfortunantly, I haven't made it back to the Valley in over 3 years.

It's a bit overcast today, and in the high 60s, so fairly typical Portland weather (I say from all 2 1/2 years of my experience with it). Downtown is all tore up because they're putting in a new light rail line on 5th Ave where the bus mall used to be, so it's no fun to drive in the city at the moment.

prow

yeah that was google. maybe a mod can help you out. the only search here i know of for this would be key words like you have done.

XBwlr

Have you tried starting a thread lookin' for Oregon members?

Something like, "Oregon Members Check In Here!"

It's worth a shot.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I know some sites have a members map, you put a pin in for your location, mine never shows cause I live under a bridge

KodiakBear

Downtown is all tore up because they're putting in a new light rail line on 5th Ave where the bus mall used to be, so it's no fun to drive in the city at the moment.

Ugh... Urban Sprawl sucks. I never liked driving in Portland. The train takes you within walking distance of anything worth seeing anyhow.

ReefLady

Staff member
To answer the question, there's not a good way I know of on RS at the moment. It is possible we could add something in the future that does what you're asking about, since many people put their zip codes in their profile so they can see the weather on the home page.