Seaclone Skimmer Modification

newsalt

I was going to build my own protein skimmer. When I went to order the acrylic tube, it was only available in 6 foot lengths. It would probably cost me more to do that than to get a Seaclone skimmer, besides, I'll be stuck with alot of leftover tube.

If I'm not mistaken, the Seaclone is a venturi type skimmer. I was going to build an air driven counter current skimmer. IMO, verturi skimmers are kind of noisy. Is it possible to modify the Seaclone and turn it into a air driven counter current skimmer? What would have to be done?

Thanks

newsalt

I've read that article before. It seems that that article still has the unit operating as a venturi skimmer. I was looking for something that would have it operate as an air-driven unit.

BoomerD

Not sure why you would want to do this, venturi units usually are far more efficient than air driven ones, but you could just drill a small hole in the outer tube, above the water level, insert an airline & airstone, thread it to the bottom of the center tube, silicone it so it's completely sealed, and hook it up to a good air pump. Then disconnect the pump's venturi device. Many people do something similar with their bak-paks.

wooddood

the wood dude
i have a 100 & 150 seaclone that i am not using at the moment but will be as soon as the new house is done.when i did have them both running on my 35 & 55 they worked great in my opinion and were not noisy at all.imo you dont need to modify them at all.just my personal opinion.

addict

The thing with turning the Seaclone into a counter-current skimmer is that it was designed as a venturi, thus, the design expects water to be forced into the body by a pump.
I don't think the airstone by itself would create enough air lift to suck water through the downtube (if used externally).
The seaclones are actually pretty quiet... nothing like a Skilter, which sounds like a vacuum sucking up gravel.
You might just give it a try in Venturi form, and if it's still too noisy for you then you can continue on with the conversion.
I will mention that it's a catch-22... you either listen to the noise of a submerged powerhead or the drone of an air pump.