Sea horses possible?

robinscp

Is it possible to keep seahorses in a 5ft 400l tank with live rock, soft corals, firefish, scooter blenny and watchman goby with shrimp?

I have researched and it seems that the fish shouldn't be to much of a problem but I am worried about the high flow in the tank that I have to keep detritus off the live rock! (I have overhangs and some caularpa growing)

Has anybody had success keeping seahorses in this environment?

Many thanks in advance

Craig

billyr98

The high flow is stressful and tough for a seahorse, i am no expert, but have had them and done some research... Sorry I have never tried it with a high flow...

Gina

RS STAFF
Seahorses are slow moving animals and prefer calm water.
I don't think they would do well with the high flow rate that we have in our reef systems.
It would also make it hard for them to catch their food.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It would be possible if the flow wasn't too strong. However, in a tank that large, feeding them would be an issue so you would certainly have to use a feeding station(s) to be sure they were finding the food. The other fish you mention would not harrass them.

robinscp

What do you mean by a feeding station?

A glass dish on the bottom or something more elaborate?

Cheers

Craig

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Any type of dish/tray (with hitching posts) that will hold thawed mysis. You can purchase them or make one yourself.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I've seen successful seahorse set ups with feeding stations and other community fish so I don't think it is a problem. You could always make the feeder deeper if needed. However, I could see a problem with shrimps stealing the food! My shrimps are horrible theifs with enormouns appetites!