Saltwater to freshwater

Okay, I have a friend who is converting his saltwater tank to a freshwater tank mainly due to not having the time or money to keep the saltwater tank. Anyhoo, I'll be buying his live rock for my brother-in-law's new tank set up. I was also planning on buying his sand, and then he sprung it on me that he was planning on using the sand in his new freshwater tank :eek: Isn't that a HORRIBLE idea??? I think one of the first things they tell you to get rid of when converting from saltwater to freshwater is the rocks and the substrate because reusing them can introduce bacteria from the SW tank to the FW tank. And everything else that is reused like the tank itself, powerheads, etc has to be very thoroughly cleaned. Am I right and it's a really BAD idea for him to try to reuse his substrate? Or am I just smoking crack or something? :dunno:

DaveK

... and then he sprung it on me that he was planning on using the sand in his new freshwater tank :eek: Isn't that a HORRIBLE idea??? ...

This would be a bad idea. Gravel for FW systems is quite a bit different. For one, SW gravel usually Calcium and will raise hardness quite s bit when used in FW.

In both cases, I recommend you replace the existing gravel with new material.

Last edited: