Safest way to remove a clam

We are going to be downsizing our tank and that means that we won't be able to keep the clams that we have. The Crocea's have attached themselves to the rock and in case someone doesn't want to take the rock as well what is the safest way to remove them...ex agitating the foot etc.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Well, thats not a fun task for sure, the safest way I know is to put the clam in a situation where he'll do it himself, either thru lighting or water flow, takes a couple of days for them to separate from the foot. good luck Steve

SueT

The best way to safely get a clam to detach is to gently sway the clam back and forth. No pressure, just gently sway the clam back and forth. I've done this many times and it may take some time but it will work. Another method is to use an ice cube held to the clams byssal thread. And the last and last resort is to use a clean cutting utensil and clip the threads as far away from the clams body/byssal opening as possible. These have all been used with good results. You just want to be sure that the clam does not expel the byssal gland.

Ok, so we did it. We managed to not touch the foot at all but used sharp scissors and cut against the rock. These guys didn't want to move any other way. It has been almost 24hrs and so far so good. They are not as extended as they usually are but clost to it with no gaping or sinking.

How long would it take for them to die - or show signs of, if they were going to from this? The whole point was to be able to sell these guys but I want to make sure that they are past the " I don't know" point before passing them on.

SueT

if cutting them was with clean scissors, think hospital clean, they shouldn't be having too much stress from being cut. Thats why I don't like using that method but sometimes it's all you can do. If the clam is still not extending it's mantle as normally then I would wait before adding the stress of moving them to a different water body. I think if you wait for 5-7 days you should be ok. Be sure to watch for any discolored tissue{byssal gland} as that would indicate an infection.

Well, it wasn't "hospital" clean cause that would be near impossible in the home, but yes they were steralized as much as we could in the home.

mps9506

I usually take a razor blade a cut the strands around the base. Then move the rock so the clam isn't facing up any more. Eventually it lets go, then check the bottom of the clam to make sure it wasn't damaged.
This is why I usually put them on old oyster shells or small flat rocks. Then I can move them around with out damaging them and still place them in secure places on the rock work.

SueT

same here Mike.. I won't put a clam in my tank that isn't sitting in a clam halfshell.

Long as the scissors were as clean as you could get them that should be fine. I just meant that they weren't grimey, dirty.