RO System Plumbed Before Softner

eric w

Hi all,

My house has the RO system plumbed before the softner. I have a picture of my readings of the current RO water sample and water from the softner. I'm going i want to keep it before the softner to keep the mg and calcium levels up. Anyhow just needed some thoughts...Thanks

water.jpg

StirCrayzy

My thoughts are to use the softener before RO.
i thought if i understand right a softener is just a HUGE resin based filter that recharges itself.
Seems like you would put less of a strain on the RO unit .

eric w

Yes that exactly what is is.. But after reading seems you want high mg and such so before changing it wanted the input of others.. Thanks

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hi all,

My house has the RO system plumbed before the softner. I have a picture of my readings of the current RO water sample and water from the softner. I'm going i want to keep it before the softner to keep the mg and calcium levels up. Anyhow just needed some thoughts...Thanks

make's 0 difference as the ro unit will remove almost 98% anyway, the di unit reduces all ions to 0 or close to it

eric w

Thanks.. Well that is not what my first results showed.. See above.. The last two lines of the table are the ones to look at.. The readings prior were tank water but all that I had filled and such from trash cans full of water that I got in front of a store.. I'm redoing my readings again but they did not go down to near nothing levels.. At least in my first readings.. Hope that makes sense

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Thanks.. Well that is not what my first results showed.. See above.. The last two lines of the table are the ones to look at.. The readings prior were tank water but all that I had filled and such from trash cans full of water that I got in front of a store.. I'm redoing my readings again but they did not go down to near nothing levels.. At least in my first readings.. Hope that makes sense

if your ro output water is showing cal and mg your membrane is swiss cheese and needs a new one, or are we talking about some other space time kinda deal?

eric w

I'm going to redo my readings.. And I just got my membrane and filters changed on the r/o unit and the softer has salt and is charged.. I will post in the am my numbers.. I live in Vegas and we have real hard water

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Whatever happens there stays there dude.

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Sas said it best...what else is new? lol

If you are using an rodi unit it will be removing 99% of all of what is going through it. Your calcium and mg will be coming from the salt that you use and replaced with water changes. By trying to rely on the city or well water to keep up either is just asking for one more variable that you will never have any control over whatsoever.

As you may already be aware, their are a ton of variables out of our control in this thing we call reefing. Why add anything within your control?

Hope this helps and have fun!