Reefbreeders Proton 32 LED hanging ideas

lilj104

I am working on my aquarium set up and I just bought my Reefbreeders Proton 32 LED set. The problem I have is i have no idea how to hang or where to hang it. I would like to know if you guys have any ideas for me.

DaveK

It looks like they give you screws or hooks with the fixture to mount the light.

You should be able to get stainless steel cable and the other parts for using it at Home Depot or similar stores. The 1/16" in diameter cable is fine.

I prefer to have my lighting from the ceiling using screw eyes or J shaped hooks. You can get snap hooks if you want to be able to rapidly remove the fixture.

If you can't mount to the ceiling, you'll need to buy or build a frame of some sort above you tank and suspend the light from that.

You might try contacting the manufacturer for any ideas they might have. Often a cable hanging system from another vendor can be made to work.

lilj104

It looks like they give you screws or hooks with the fixture to mount the light.

You should be able to get stainless steel cable and the other parts for using it at Home Depot or similar stores. The 1/16" in diameter cable is fine.

I prefer to have my lighting from the ceiling using screw eyes or J shaped hooks. You can get snap hooks if you want to be able to rapidly remove the fixture.

If you can't mount to the ceiling, you'll need to buy or build a frame of some sort above you tank and suspend the light from that.

You might try contacting the manufacturer for any ideas they might have. Often a cable hanging system from another vendor can be made to work.

I think I will go with this set up. I think it easy and cool set.

http://reeftools.com/news/building-a-light-rack-from-conduit/#

Luukosian

I used a metal bracket with drywall toggles for mine(rated at something like 100lbs each), then used carabiners hung off that to hold the wires. Turned out pretty clean, I'll take a few pictures and show you how I did it.

Luukosian

Have the moonlights on(blue 5% or something), so it looks really really blue and the angle of the one picture makes them look crooked but they really look nice. Have had a lot of compliments vs. my old tank mounted t5's. Used a plumb-bob, measuring tape, and wax marker to make sure it was center on tank then just adjusted the wires with a level to make sure it was straight. Great customer service from reefbreeders when I ordered and great light, really happy with it.

If you drill holes in the ceiling over the tank a good trick is to put a hole in a paper plate with your bit and put it through there when you drill the holes. No plaster/drywall in the water, and no hassle of covering the tank :)

lilj104

Have the moonlights on(blue 5% or something), so it looks really really blue and the angle of the one picture makes them look crooked but they really look nice. Have had a lot of compliments vs. my old tank mounted t5's. Used a plumb-bob, measuring tape, and wax marker to make sure it was center on tank then just adjusted the wires with a level to make sure it was straight. Great customer service from reefbreeders when I ordered and great light, really happy with it.

If you drill holes in the ceiling over the tank a good trick is to put a hole in a paper plate with your bit and put it through there when you drill the holes. No plaster/drywall in the water, and no hassle of covering the tank :)

How high is the unit above the water? What percentage of lights do you use for days? Any other tips on set-ups?

Snid

If you want to get creative, have the ceiling be a gliding track that the lights can slide on so that you can slide it side to side. Then it is easy to move out of the way when doing hefty work on the tank. ;)

A pulley system would also work in this way, but it might get more difficult.

I built a stand out of copper pipe to hang mine over my tank. I chose copper over galvanized because the fittings look better. I primed, painted then clear coated to ensure there is no risk of leaching copper. It works great!