Red macro Algae ID needed..

lcstorc

Great job Boomer! I love reading your info. It always helps.
Cool looing algae. I'm gonna have to ask Woodstock to send me some when I get my fuge done. :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Fama!

:whstlr:

Boomer said:
I have just been informed by Julian your pics will be in FAMA Reef Notes, his mothly column. I do not know what he is going to say. He was more interested on what he is going to say based om my comments on our other topic for Reef Notes. The comb jellie ID, which will also be in there.

:whstlr: :clink: :thumbup: :clink:

Woodstock said:
I have large dense 'clumps' of this algae in my sump. It seems to be a fast grower and is very easy to remove when I thin it out. My tangs love it!

Red_Macro_algae_001.jpg

Red_Macro_algae_006.jpg

Red_Macro_algae_003.jpg

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
So, you should be just ****faced by now :D

I forgot, Charles Delbeek will also be looking at your pics shortly, once I e-mail them ;) Since this algae is common to Hawaii he might be able to tell us more

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Per Boomer's request, I shipped some of this algae 2nd day air to Charles Delbeek in Hawaii. He sent me an email today...
Aloha Doni Marie, your package arrived today and I have put in
preservative and will bring to the algae expert sometime next week.
I'll let you know when I hear from her.
Aloha!
Charles

Boomer

Yah, mime is going by a schooner ship. Be there Monday. Here is it is, still has not left port yet :(

schooner.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Here is the most recent reply from C. Delbeek
Here is the response on your algae. It REALLY would be helpful to know where your live rock came from, otherwise this is like showing someone a fin and asking what fish it came from.
------------------------------------
Just to let you know I have looked at the two specimens of algae that you sent over--they appear to be at least in the same genus of red algae, perhaps in the Order Rhodymeniales in a genus I believe is limited to subtropics or warm temperate.I was happy that they were in formalin/seawater, but I wonder where the original came from (Caribbean??) so it would help to look at regional floras. Otherwise the possible genera they might be in are large, and because the habit of these plants may have changed because of changing environmental factors in aquaria, it is proving t be difficult to find a species name (of course, they are sterile! ) The habits of these two samples are different enough to be in two different species, but I think if I had the right literature I might find a better fit for either or both of them.
As soon as I can get a better name for species, I will let you know. I have pressed a specimen for the Bishop Museum, and pickled some for further study; hope that is OK with you.
------------------------------------
Aloha!
J. Charles Delbeek M.Sc.

Unfortunately, there is no way for me to know when or where this algae came from. I used dry dead rock but I have added lots of corals attached to rocks. Maybe it came from the west coast... The LFS that I purchase a lot of corals from gets most of their shipments from over there....

Boomer, any luck with getting an ID on your algae sample?

billyr98

Wow that would be impossible to figure out for me, you , or anyone with lots of corals purchased! Well its a neat project to be involved in... Hopefully someone figures it out!

Boomer

That is a copy paste of my e-mail. Today I'm going to write him another one with more info but the info will be useless.

I have known Charles a long time, through the internet and there are often things we like to say about the ID of plants, corals and many inverts but we usually just keep our mouths shut. I kinda did that on that anemone thread a couple of weeks back. He puts in words here

otherwise this is like showing someone a fin and asking what fish it came from.

This is very true. The other issue is many corals and plants get morphed in aquariums and are impossible to ID to species. Finally, in case someone reads that e-mail wrong, that is not Charles Delbeek talking but Dr. Isabel Abbott, the worlds leading expert on red algae. I'm 58 years old and she has been studying algae before I was even born.:bugout: 83 years old or so. And she is almost clueless to what it is :smack: I also **use to send pics** of anemones to Dr. Daphne Dunn Fautin. The pics where very clear to fairly clear. "Boom I can not ID that anemone by its picture. "I need the real thing " Me, I was 99 % sure it was anemone X, Y or Z. But allot of Tax guys and girls are like that, so ID unless real thing in hand. So I need to slow down on "it" is X, Y, or Z. If Dr Jen Veron stopped in here for an ID on a perfect picture of a SPS and someone said it was X, Y or Z, he would say flat out, "you can not ID a Acropora sp by a picture period, especially one that has been in reef tank for some time." He told me once that an Acropora that has been in a reef tank for a long time that he may not be able to ID it at all to species level :eek: Many SPS in this hobby are probably mis-ID, same for plants and many inverts.

Boomer

FAMA is out an I'm very depressed for Woody/Doni. :tears: :tears:

Woody

The article has two pic's, your algae and a possible "red bunny rabbit algae " eater. Woody your great pic was shrunk to 1 1/2 to 1 1/2 and not clear and crisp.. The Diadema setosum pic is like 5 x 3. The urchin has a photo credit and yours has none :( :( I thought he would mention you in the text, nota'. He just more or less copy/paste the first and last e-mails I sent him and left out the middle two e-mials about you and a photo credit. :(

Me
Those pic are not mine. I was asked to ID the red algae. The girls name is Doni Marie *****. She said it would be great to have here pics in your Reef Notes. You are one of her heroes ;-). She is hoping to meet you at MACNA

Julian
OK I managed to make an interesting Reef Notes with your questions re comb jellies and the red alga. I included two of Doni Marie's photos.

You are the one responsible for all this and there is not even a clue anywhere about you :(

Don't feel bad he only posted my first e-mail on ctenphores and left out the last two, where I re-ID them to Coeloplana sp after getting a bunch of new info and that they indeed were not Lyrocteis sp and could not be. Makes me look bad :(

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Well, so much for my fame and fortune :rolleyes: LOL~ Seriously, I am not offended, especially since the pic isn't clear and crisp :p I wouldn't want my name next to a blurry photo ;)

Which month is it in? I'll have to take a trip to Barnes and Nobles soon :D

Boomer

November Woody

My name is not in there either, it just says Boomer at the end of the e-mail, there are lots of Boomer's in this hobby.