Red Hairy Leg Crab

One of our LFSs has a red hairy leg crab, about the size of a golf ball....I've heard that they eat aiptasia, but I cant find anything definitive. He would be in a FOWLR tank. If I could find ANY info on this guy (besides the old wives tail hairy=bad) it would be very helpful.

tnwillia

Can you post a picture? This is the first aiptasia eating crab I've heard of. It that is true he will become one very sought after crab overnight. The "old wives tail" has proved 100% true in my tank. Good luck!

WhiteSpottedHermitCrab.jpg

crab.jpg

I am mainly curious if he is a fish killer. I have a rare blenny and don't want to take any chances.

Actually, I am starting to think he's a White-spotted Hermit Crab (Dardanus megistos). If so, very cool, but not what I'm looking for.

Hampton

I purchased a Copperband Butterflyfish and that took care of EVERY last piece of aiptasia. I didn't even know they ate the stuff just bought it for looks. Almost wish I had more for the little bugger to eat.

RUCKUS

Hello there! i have one of those hermit crabs, they are a pretty cool specimen to own and have. if you actually feed the hermit crab its own piece of food, (i give mine quarter of a frozen silver side per week and mine is roughly 2.5" out of shell) i have found he leaves the other fish alone. there are some reports of these hermit crabs preying upon smaller and slower fish, but i have a blenny and several other fish in there with him and he hasnt eaten one yet. the only harm he may do is if a fish tries to nip on the food that you gave him away he will smack it with his claws and that slightly injured a damsel of mine but hes ok. they are very hardy and do a decent job of gravel cleaning. im sure if you started smaller itd be a fine addition to your tank. Cheers!

RUCKUS

Hello there! i have one of those hermit crabs, they are a pretty cool specimen to own and have. if you actually feed the hermit crab its own piece of food, (i give mine quarter of a frozen silver side per week and mine is roughly 2.5" out of shell) i have found he leaves the other fish alone. there are some reports of these hermit crabs preying upon smaller and slower fish, but i have a blenny and several other fish in there with him and he hasnt eaten one yet. the only harm he may do is if a fish tries to nip on the food that you gave him away he will smack it with his claws and that slightly injured a damsel of mine but hes ok. they are very hardy and do a decent job of gravel cleaning. im sure if you started smaller itd be a fine addition to your tank. Cheers!

OK so funny and coincidental story... LOL i came home today to find my hermit crab Feasting on my blenny. had it half eaten when i found it. probably wouldnt be a good idea to get one with your blenny :/