RBTA just loves danger

jimeluiz

We have three RBTAs in our tank. One gloriously large one has found her spot and stays put. The middle-size one wanders back and forth along the rockwork at the back of the tank. Then there is the little one. She just loves to play in traffic and give me gray hairs.

Her "sweet spot" for the past two months has been on a powerhead a few inches from the overflow teeth. Go figure. I've moved her to what I consider to be a safer spot, but she just trucks back over to the PH. I'm trying to relax and let her have her way.
121daredevil_rbta.jpg

ReefLady

Staff member
LOL that looks like a suicidal BTA to me!

Thought about putting a foam block over the PH intake? You might sleep better at night... :D

jimeluiz

Can I get said foam sleave off the rack from a supplier or is it a DIY item? Also - folks have suggested I "fence off" the overflow teeth since I've had more than one BTA get sucked through two or more slots, sometimes going for a joy ride into the sump! But it seems to me whatever I do, if it allows flow it would still pose a risk, so I haven't done anything (except take a census each morning and night.)

While we sometimes have a little/lot of drama, still no tragedies. I've decided that contrary to what I believed in the begining, anemonies are quite hardy creatures. And this one knows how to upset its steward!

ReefLady

Staff member
It's not pre-made, but you can get an aquaclear foam block in the filtration media area of your local (gasp!) Petsmart. Cut a hole in it to fit the PH intake and slip it over the intake... you'll need to rinse the sponge every couple of days though.

Gina

RS STAFF
That would sure scare the heck out of me!! I would have to try and figure out a way to keep it from being sucked in! Scares me just looking at the pic!!

forestal

If she has been there for 2 months, maybe just likes the flow/lighting? perhaps turn off the ph for a couple days and let her find another spot (hopefully)

jimeluiz

She has continued to stay attached to the powerhead right behind the intake screen on the motor box. Go figure. I tried at one point to remove her to put her somewhere else, but she would have nothing of it.

She does seem to be staying pretty little, not growing like the other two in the tank.

Silly thing.

jimeluiz

bits of raw shrimp, sometimes soaked in 'vitamins'

And I'm hoping the clowns are doing their part to keep them fed from the various other foods added to the tank - as I have been lead to believe they do. But they are not hanging out with the little one.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I sometimes feed mine homemade mush but mine REALLY like ~stinky~ silversides. They have a VERY fishy smell to them. :eek:

jimeluiz

Maybe I'll get some of the silversides and change up the menu a bit. I feed the tank homemade mush, but don't spot feed the BTAs in the process. Perhaps I'll give that a go as well. At least for the little one. Thanks.