Question on quarantine procedure

Actmcar

Apologies if this information is already posted and I just missed it. What is the best way or recommended procedure for transferring a fish out of the QT tank and into the DT so to not contaminate the DT?

Thanks!

DaveK

I put the fish in a small bucket and do a drip acclamation and at the end of the process net the fish and put it in the display tank. All water use in the acclimation process is discarded, and new SW used to refil the display tank.

mikecc

When I do it......Once you are thru QT the water that your fish is in is ok to make it into the main tank. I catch it in a container or by hand and transfer him over. I try not to net fish at all if I can help it. I also use dt water for qt water changes. Most times it is by hand. By the time QT is over a fish is quite familiar with me. A few fish all I do is put my hand in the water and they will just swim right up into it.

DaveK

I prefer to never add QT tank water to the display tank water. You just never know if there is some residue from meds used one time or another. That being said, using a small container to move the fish shouldn't be an issue.

Some small fish you can just pick up with your hand, but make sure what your picking up can't bite you, doesn't have spines, and is not venomous.