Protien Skimmer Pumps????

Pro_builder

Has anyone ever DIYed a bubble maker for a Protein Skimmer?
I have an RIO 3100 pump on my skimmer, but it won't make enough bubbles. Looking for something that works.
TIA

Scooterman

I replaced the impeller with a needed wheel on an aquabee pump. It is close to a RIO as you can get. I then glued a 3 or 4 inch piece of pipe sticking out from the suction to the mounting nut. I then drilled a hole right past the nut, about an inch or so. I inserted and glued an airline piece of ridged PVC, it was real small, then I slipped on a piece of tubing which I ran up to a small air valve. Basically I made a ventury that sucked in the air. while sucking in the water. It worked well for the time.

Pro_builder

Scooterman, thanks for the idea. I think that is what I will have to do to till I can get some extra cash to buy a Beckett system.

tommyp

Pro,

Are you building a beckett, i made one for my 65 and it is a bit overkill I am going to a euroreef when I have the extra cash. Then put the beckett in storage till I buy a house and can have a big tank. My becket works well but I would use it on a tank twice the size. I only run it during the day right now because it will pull a lot out when it on for short periods but when it is on 24 seven doesn't seem to pull as much. Oh yeah the sound of the mak4 is not so much fun ether. But they are great skimmers

TP

Pro_builder

I don't have the money to buy a beckett system or build it yet
I bought a used ReaSea Berlin system. But, I am flowing 100 gal of water at the moment.
Thanks for the info.