protein skimmers

proud2bcanadian

i'm new to this site and to the marine aquarium hobby. i havent yet started the tank, though i just want to plan how to set it up.

my first of probably many questions to come is...

what exactly does a protein skimmer do?

i'm setting up the Rainbow Lifegard 'filters' containing the heater module, chemical module, mechanical module, ultraviolet sterilizer, fluidized bed filter and a pump (or 2). do i need a skimmer? what would it's purpose be? i was thinking of Red Sea Prizm Skimmer, any thoughts on that (opinions)??

thanks,

David Liles:confused:

jks1

Wits attachment will explain what a skimmer does, but do you need one? Depends on what you are trying to keep. If you intend to keep coral/Live rock/Live sand then I would recommend a skimmer.

You could probably get away without one on a fish only tank however a less complex setup for a fish only would be the use of Live rock and a skimmer. The modules in the filter you described above could be minimized. If you went with a skimmer and live rock, you would NEED a heater, and perhaps a UV if you want. The live rock would accomplish your biological filtration and the skimmer would help you on the mechanical side.

There really isnt a "right way" to do things, just some are more successfulthan others or require less maintenance. Good luck!