Protein Skimmers

We have a Sea Clone protein skimmer right now. We investgated this skimmer read some good reviews, but knew there were more expensive skimmers out there.

From a different thread there was lots of postive talk of live rock so we decided to order some from a reputable site.

Now we need a new skimmer since there are two tanks. It was also stated in the other thread that the Sea Clone was not a good skimmer. Why?

The Aqau C was recommended, but costing double the price of the Sea Clone. Is the Aqua C double the skimmer? Where is the best place to order one if they are worth the money.

Does anyone have experience with both skimmers?

Thanks in advance,
Rusty & Amanda

BoomerD

If memory serves me right, about the best price you'll find for the Remora Pro with the better Mag drive pump is about $225, and will be found at Marine Depot and many of the sponsors of this forum for about that price. You can also find them used here:. Reef Central Used Equipment Forum

Of course, it's a bit of buyer beware when buying anything used, especially from someone at a distance, but I've been fortunate, and haven't been burned to badly in the many purchases I've made. Asklots of questions, and check to see if there is any feed back (good or bad) on the seller. Also try e-bay for one.
No experience with the sea clone. Too many people warned me away from it when I got back in the hobby.

Gina

RS STAFF
We are saving up from a Remora skimmer. But, for now we have a seaclone 150 which has worked very well for us.

Originally posted by Gina
We are saving up from a Remora skimmer. But, for now we have a seaclone 150 which has worked very well for us.

Gina,

If it works well, why change it?

After some searching on the internet I have come across a couple fo things. People tend to really like the Aqua C and Bak Pak 2 systems. I have also found though that most people that have used the Sea Clone series don't have all that bad to say about them. There are some modifications you can do to them to make them even better. It sounds as though just about any protein skimmer you are gonna to have to adjust or modify to get it to work 100% perfectly.

Coming from a mechanical field I watch guys all the time spend 4-5 times the amount on a Snap-On tool that my Craftman tool does just as well at much less the price.

In the end if a 200+ skimmer will do that much better of a job I can see spending the money.

Thanks for the replies,

Rusty & Amanda

BoomerD

Here's a Remora Pro on the RC used equip. board. The seller, Stephen Pro, is a highly respected member of the hobby, not just some Joe Schmoe out there. Own an aquarium maintenance company and has written for Bob Fenners WetWebMedia forums .
Great asking price, complete with Mag-drive pump & pre-filter/surface skimmer box,and located in Pittsburgh, Pa. If I didn't already own 2 of these, I'd buy it!

Craig Manoukian

I have a Seaclone 150 I am thrilled with. Moving to an Aqua~medic Turbofloater 1000 Multi for greater skimmimg capacity. The knock on the Seaclones in the past was related to a poorly designed pump. The new Maxijet 1200 fixed that problem and they work like a champ.

Here's my Seaclone 150 skimmimg up a storm!

12DSC00503-med.JPG

HTH:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

SZHTTM

I also stayed away from the SeaClone because of all the bad news on them on the different forums; but I did upgraded from a SeaLife 150 skimmer to an AquaC EV-180 and noticed a massive difference. I thought my skimmer was working fine too, at least until I got my EV-180. What a difference!! It filteres out the same amount of waste in 3 hours that my old skimmer did in one week. All the corals and fish look more vibrant too. My PH is also more stable, but I think that is because the new skimmer has a much greater gas exchange capacity or capability than the old one did.

I also have a Remora on my 20-gallon and it is also pretty awesome.

It really is hard to tell how much better one skimmer is than another unless you try it yourself or can barrow one for a test run. But if you go with the Remora, you will be greatly impressed with it. I'm not an engineer, but I think it all has to do with how much water and air can be mixed together to filter as much water as possible every hour efficiently.

Good Luck;
:thumbup:

addict

Count me as another happy SeaClone owner.

The thing to keep in mind with the SeaClone though, is that they are extremely overrated... there's no way I'd use my SC150 on a 150g tank, but it works great on my 55g.

The newer model SeaClones have also been somewhat redesigned so that the problems experienced with the first ones were remedied. I tried the airstone trick, and it put out waaaay too much foam.

I'm also running mine as an in-sump skimmer, though I see that Craig is using his with the downtube... you can see from the photo I attached that it gets a nice wet, dark skimmate, which from what I've read is how you want it.

Most people like to berate the SeaClone, but I've had nothing but positive experiences with it. I'm not saying that the Remora is a bad skimmer (in fact my second choice for a skimmer was an Urchin, the in-sump version of the Remora), just that the SeaClone does a good job.

The piece of plastic gutter attached to the downspout of the skimmer is to redirect the water back into the sump without it splashing all over since the skimmer sits about 12" above the water level in the sump... just in case you were wondering. :)

P.S. I should also mention that I just cleaned out the skimmate cup yesterday afternoon... the skimmate it's collected is from the hurricane treatment I gave the tank last night and some of the phyto/zooplankton I added to the tank this morning... it's doing a nice job pulling gunk out of the water. I usually have to empty the cup once or twice a week.

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
I always forget they redesigned those things, and I have to say I've heard nothing but good about them ever since.

Travis

addict

Oh... I wasn't directing that at you Travis. :)
Mostly to the people that refer to it as the 'Sea Clown'... :D

cleartank

The new model SeaClones are good for the price, they make foam which makes the user happy, but the SC like most inexpensive skimmers can't bring down the DOC level as low & quickly, like for example a LifeReef would do.