predator tank

molsen187

i am going to be setting up a predator tank in a few weeks to a month. i used to have a 55g reef tank that i had to leave when i moved a couple of weeks ago. i have never done a predator tank. i'm looking for any suggestions that would help me. i'm getting a 90g tank. is a sump and fuge neccassary on this king of tank. also is a protein skimmer needed. i have an aqua c remora. live stock suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. i was leaning towards a lionfish or two depending on what type i get and a puffer, maybe an eel. should i have live sand on the bottome of this tank. i was thinking of putting some live rock in there not much maybe 30 lbs at the most to give the lion fish somewhere to chill during the day. how much light would i need to do this tank. any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. thanks in advance.

Zack33

a sump and fuge would be best
a protein skimmer would be best
i would go with the normal amount of live rock for a reef (1-2 pounds per gallon) of course not all of that has to be in the DT most can be in the sump/fuge
lighting all you need is enough to have colour in the fish your happy with:)
if you like the look go bare bottom (unless you get the eel then go with a SSB)

Now to explain my answers for the most part;)

Predator fish are very messy eaters, therefore they make the quality of water bad very fast, this is here a VERY good protein skimmer is needed, lots of live rock, and a good sump/ LARGE fuge for filtration
if you like barebottom go that way because then there is not a many places for nitrates to build up from the TONS of waste your predator fish will be creating.

I personnally would be looking for a protein skimmer that is rated for at least 150 gallons, and not one rated for 55 at the best (IMO) once again predator fish make ALOT OF WASTE! therefore ALOT OF QUALITY FILTRATION WILL BE NEEDED! :)

HTH,
Zack

molsen187

the aqua c i have is the 300. i'm not sure what size is actually fitted for as i bought it used on the forum here. it was a beast on my 55. i think the guy i bought it from used it on at least a 90 i bought it with the intention of getting a new tank eventually anyway. so how deep of a sand bed if i decide to get the eel. i was thinking hawkfish eel and then one other fish maybe a puffer. so i would want what like 60-80 lbs of rock in the sump section then the rest in the tank. i just want enough rock in the tank for the eel to live in and the hawkfish to perch on.

molsen187

what i'm really trying for here is the easiest move in a couple of years. where i'm living now isn't gonna be permament so i want something that is easy to move when neccassary. thats why i did't want to go reef tank cause moving all the corals and rock is a pia. if i have to have the same amount of rock in a predator tank i might just have to wait until i can get my own place.

molsen187

i'm just going to be doing a fish only tank. i'm gonna get a puffer and something else not sure what yet. my friend suggested something called a tusk or task or something like that can't remember the name off the top of my head i'll ask him when i see him at work. anny suggestions for some cool predatory fish for a fish only tank that isn't a trigger would be appreciated. i prolly not gonna get a lionfish either since them and the puffers don't get along.

lcstorc

I'm not that familiar with the predators but I do know that puffers get very large so you want to be careful there.
Personally, I wouldn't set up a tank if I knew I was moving.
Even if you don't have corals, it is a royal pain but that is just my opinion.

bandr1002

tusk is the fish you speak of. it is a non reef safe wrasse. harliquin tusk. gets 10 inches or so and is a very stunning fish to watch.

SubRosa

tusk is the fish you speak of. it is a non reef safe wrasse. harliquin tusk. gets 10 inches or so and is a very stunning fish to watch.

There are those here who would dispute that a Harlequin Tusk isn't reef safe. If Witfull is still round he can give you a first hand account. It will eat your shrimp, but as far as corals they're fine.

tigger4life

I have a trigger and tomato clown fish; so far. And I just added a wet/dry filter which came with a skimmer. So far, it's good. The trigger is a mess, he picks at his food and everything is all over the tank. So, I think getting a skimmer is a must. Since, I have had a fowr for a while; it takes time to make adjustments to your equipment and it depends on what else you want in the tank. I have change lighting and filters because of poor choice in products. Try to get the best equipment if you can.

WVUReefer

Just an idea...I currently have a 65g reef set up so no big predators..But I have often thought what I would do if I did have a predator tank:
Most likely I would have a lionfish or two, and most definitely an eel..
Now bearing that stock list in mind I would aim for a taller tank with depth, not o much long. I know I would only use actinic and blue spectrum lighting..As this is a predator tank there would be no need for the high light demands..My goal is to recreate the life on a reef cliff..So I know I would aim for a foam rock background (which is also used in reefing)...The depth of the tank would be no less than 24 in..(36-48 ideal)..This background would reach from top to bottom...I would have a minimal amount of rockwork..enough for perching and maybe some cave work..The substrate would be aragonite sand with a 60% mixture of black oolite...If your getting the picture this tank would be purposely darker..maybe a few nonphotosynthetic gorgs and sea fans scattered about the tank..It most definitely would be drilled with a high level of filtration..skimmer, sump, denitrator..I think fuge would be a bit over kill..

puffermike

I wouldn't exactly say Puffer Fish don't get along with Lion Fish. It all depends on the attitude of your fish. I had a dwarf lion fish with a Porcupine puffer and the two lived peacefully together.

I've also had that dwarf lion fish live with 3 Green Spotted Puffers.. and none of them bother the lion fish. It's just something you have to pay attention to and see how they interact.