Pineapple sponges taking over

I posted about these a while back for an ID & learned they were pineapple sponges & good for the tank. I dont mind them growing in the tank, but they are really starting to take over this poor zoa frag. They are on the sides & back that you cant see too. Should I remove them and if so what would be the best way to do so. Here's a pic, sorry it's blurry too much caffeine this morning.

pics2-11006.jpg

Here's a better pic when they were smaller & not so many of them yet.

1-09005.jpg

Yes, I have another tank. They are growing in the tank & fuge. That could be interesting, fragging pineapple sponges, lol. I think that if they are exposed to air for very long it will kill them.

lcstorc

They sure do look like pineapple sponges but should have died when you took them out of the tank. As far as I know, sponges die when exposed to air.
Perhaps someone can correct me.
Regardless, you don't want them to take over so I would carefully remove them, probably with an exacto knife. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection whenever you handle zoas. They have a very strong palytoxin and can spit when you are working with them.

rmlevasseur

This may sound strange, but I would almost value the sponges more than the zoas. Zoas are pretty common, but there appear to be some animals that depends on sponges in their diet. My guess is that it could extend to just about every angel. If it were me I'd frag some of those zoas underwater and try my best to foster that sponge growth.

Luukosian

I had a rock with a bunch of pineapple sponges and it sat in the car covered in wet newspaper for like 2 hours and all the sponges lived....I eventually scraped them all off because they multiply quickly and are pretty ugly in my opinion. Seeing this post I'm glad I did.

rmlevasseur

I have sponges growing on my overflow box but nowhere in my main tank. Really guys, sponges aren't typically considered a nuisance. Its more a sign that you are doing things right.

I dont mind them at all anywhere else. I just dont want them on this zoa frag. It used to open up & looked really nice & full, now it just seems to not do that as much. I know zoas are common, but this was one of the first frags I've ever had (only a couple of months), so to me there are not so common yet. I think I will try the underwater thing & put them in the fuge & see if they make it. The rest in the tank can stay where they are & be happy.

lcstorc

I have them all over and totally agree but in this case they are taking over the zoa rock.
They are certainly good filter feeders and help clean the water.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Go with Anthony's advice and pluck them off with a pair of tweezers. Sponges in an unwanted place are weeds!