Photoshop question

Imperial

I currently have photoshop 5.0 le in one computer and 7.0 in the other. What is the best way to cut out an intem from one picture and place it in another picture?

Thanks

Witfull

duplicate the layer, trace what you want cut. then drag it to the other pic. if it is on the other PC save it as a .psd and then move it to the other PC.

ReefLady

Staff member
"easiest" way is to use the lasso tool, though to do it well there really is no easy way... takes lots of diligence, patience and practice to do well. I still suck at it. :)

ReefLady

Staff member
That's one new feature about Paint Shop Pro (8.0) that I absolutely love. It has a "background eraser" tool - which makes this job extremely painless. ;-)

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I always use masks when I do it. With masks you can create a new layer and simply erase what you want and never actually erase it ;)

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I should also point out that doing it manually...you will want to be looking at the pic at around 300 -600 % and is very tiring on the eys ;)

gumhead

In Photoshop 7 use the magnetic lasso. Just lead the lasso around the object you want. Copy the selected object and past to the other picture. Quite easy no zooming or erasing needed.

gumhead

Here is what I was talking about...

lasso_1.jpg

It works awesome! You might have to adjust the settings to best suit your needs.
It took less then a minute to create this picture...

lasso_2.jpg

The original can be found here...
http://www.littlereef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1&password=&sort=1&cat=503&page=1

ReefLady

Staff member
Good point GH, I forgot about the magnetic lasso.

It works great sometimes, other times it is definitely a great starting point with some fine-tuning using the lasso still necessary.

In PS7, using the Layer-->feather tool gives you a bit more margin for error as well.

Also, a neat Photoshop trick- for greater precision, press the caps-lock key and that ugly lasso pointer turns into crosshairs.

T.

gumhead

Oh jeeesh I didnt even see your post on the lasso Travis :D
The magnetic lasso works great but sometimes you have to fool with the setting to make it work right, but it works great most of the time for me...