photos

Jim

Here are a couple of photos of my tank as it is with some live rock. There are some interesting things happening in it already.

426SIMG0507-med.jpg

426SIMG0501-med.jpg

Edited to show pictures in post ~ RL

Last edited:

Brucey

Jim, you've linked to your thumbnails .... try linking to the Pics themselves
Brucey

Brucey

I'm assuming your not running a sump. Or is the sump going to be in another room. It's a big advantage to run a sump to increase your water volume and also get all that horrible equipment out of sight.
Brucey

Jim

Bare bottom for now Gina, when I originally envisaged a marine tank I could see white sand but I've been told it doesn't stay white. I was a bit nervous putting the rock straight onto the glass and I still feel it would be safer to have it sitting on some kind of substrate. For now though, there is something below one of the rocks thats gathering the sediment and pulling it into a pile, the glass base makes it really easy to see it and it's fascinating to watch.

Gina

RS STAFF
Looks like the way your cabinets are a sump under the tank would be out of the question. I like sumps so, would probably try to figure out how to still have one.

As far as the bottom goes, I have heard of people who have put their live rock on egg crate so that the rock isn't directly on the bottom. They say eventually the egg crate becomes covered in coraline and blends in with the rock.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
It looks like you have a Prizm skimmer running on the left corner of the tank am I right or am I seeing things ? Also what size tank is it ?

Jim

Well spotted Robert, it is a Prizm. The tank is 240 litre / 63.4 US gallon. Compared to everyone elses tanks it is looking a bit bare, but I know it will take time to try and get it right.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The tank looks awesome Jim, beautiful tank and stand although I like a little substrate but to each his own. I have a Prizm skimmer and I don't know if that's gonna be enough for a 63 gallon, if you can I would upgrade the skimmer especially if you end up with a heavy bio-load, I have a 42 gal and my prizm is about at it's limit JMHO

Last edited:

johnlewis

I had a Prism on my 50 but I am now much happier with my DIY. The key with the Prism as I saw it was to constantly clean the skimate cup and make sure the water level is right the pump has a far higher output than you push through the skimmer and have dry foam. I think if you could modify the cylinder higher your could put a much greater load the reaction chamber is just about 4" to short IMO.

Jim

Thanks for putting the photos up for me Fidojoe, that's much better.
I still might add substrate yet Robert as it does make everything look better, I need to weigh up the pros and cons on the things I've been told.
I will have to watch the prizm to see how it performs.