PH reading 7.5-7.7 and temp having huge swings as well

degibson84

Just found an old Aquadyne octopus 3000 and i am using the probes to monitor my PH and Temp.

my PH is reading 7.5-7.7 is it possible the probe is bad or my PH is really that low. I test with API kit but it is very hard to get a real read with the color tests.

As for my temp this is really confusing me. When the lights are off on my tank the temp goes up to around 78.3(this is where it is at currently). When the lights come on it goes all the way down to around 75. Not sure why when the heat from the lights hit the aquarium the temp drops but it is. any ideas on the situation?

I know everyone will say get a real test and reading on my PH but the temp has really got my confused

steved13

PREMIUM
Was the pH probe stored properly? Did you calibrate the probe?

Seems very odd the temp would drop with the lights on.

mtk

+1^
Do you have fans that turn on with your lights or is the controler programmed to keep the heater off when the lights are on. Just guessing here

degibson84

Not sure if the probe was stored properly and not sure how to calibrate. I did have solution for it but have no clue how to dial it in. The Octopus 3000 had no instructions with it.

I don't know how to get octopus 3000 to actually control anything since there is no manual.

There are fans that kick on in my light fixture when the halides come on but I don't see that dropping the temp of the water

steved13

PREMIUM
Most pH probes should be stored wet. Usually they ave a small vile that slips over the end and locks on with water inside. Probes are usually calibrated at 2 point ~7.0 and ~10.0 for saltwater. If it hasn't been calibrated, you can't rely on the measurements to be accurate. In that respect I wouldn't pay any attention to the readings your getting. If you have a cali fluid of either above values (not ~ 4.0) you could put the probe into it and see if it's reading the value of the cali fluid...but it should be done at 2 points.

I'm not familiar with the "octopus 3000"...did you try searching on the web for some directions? Usually temp probes don't need to be calibrated, but still doesn't mean the one you have is any good. I'd try another thermometer and see if it's dropping when the lights come on or is there something screwy in the octopus 3000.

reefer gladness

That's a very old controller, like 15-20 years. Instructions were written for a Windows 95 computer. Here's the manual http://www.aquadyne.com/ftp/Octopus3000ManualV22.pdf

Good advice above to calibrate but considering how old the probe is and that it's been allowed to dry out I would just replace it. You need to buy some 7.0 and 10.0 calibration fluid anyway and pH probes are dirt cheap. I'd get a new temp probe while I was at it. You may just have the set points on the heater control set incorrectly.

DaveK

It should be pointed out that pH probes are only good for a year or so with the best of care. I'd just replace it.

degibson84

this probe was not the original from the controller it is a more recent pinpoint PH probe but still not sure of the age. I guess purchasing a new probe would be best but that doesn't help me with my temp swings

reefer gladness

Are you using the controller to turn the heater on/off? Might be an issue with how the controller is set up.

If not I'd double-check with a separate digital thermometer, they're cheap and you should have one anyway to make sure the temp of new water from the mixing bucket is the same as the display tank when doing water changes.

reefer gladness

Is the probe near the heater? The only thing I can think of is the heat from the lights is keeping the tank warm enough during the day that the heater doesn't go on. When the lights are off the heater is coming on after the temp drops

Or it's just the controller giving bad readings. I'd definitely want to double-check with another thermometer before assuming anything else. Also, thermostat's in heaters usually aren't very accurate.