oyster shells as substrate????

jerry26

so i was looking at my tank and was punched in the you know whats with a epiphany. how is oyster shells any different than aragonite substrate(with the exception of grain size)? i have that oolite sand which is better known as that sand that blows everywhere. i hate it and have been itching for a chance to throw it out the window. i have a bag of oyster shells and its made of shells and coral calcium. with the price of aragonite and a 50lb bag of shells costing like 10-15 bucks its the way to go. its even a good size grain for the bottom of my tank. has anyone tried this?

i looked up the composition of oyster shell and found this from yale university.

Composition of crassostrea virginica shell from Galvestron Bay (presented as oxides)

calcium�53.6 carbon�42.5 sodium�0.33 magnesium�0.32 silicon�0.17 moisture�0.59 sulfur�0.18 strontium�0.11

The oyster creates its own environment by secreting a shell composed or ninety-five percent (95%) of calcium carbonate. The remainder of the shell is made up of organic material and trace amounts of manganese, iron, aluminum, sulfate and magnesium.

it appears oyster shells actually contain more trace elements than aragonite. all i can find on the composition of aragonite is calcium carbonate.

skippah

I have it in my tank. I bought a bag from the local feed store and washed the heck out of it and put it in my tank. It stays put even with strong water flow.

jerry26

updated my first post with info about the actual composition of oyster shells. ive begun washing mine as well. ima grab another bag from tractor supply and go forward with this plan. this is gonna work.