Our Reef

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
The time has arrived for me to start my own little thread about the progression of my tank.

Background:
The tank started in March of 2003 when my father had vision of corals in his sleep. I being in college said, "lets start slow with Fish only and progress our way through". Well to my enjoyment, "Reefing" got the better of me and the story is as follows.

Equipment:
90 Gallon AGA tank with 1 overflow (Durso pipe). 40 Gallon DIY sump with baffels and drilled (use TBD) with a MAG 9.5 on the return. Also have a Berlin turbo as the skimmer Recently added 2-250 watt XM 10k Metal Halides with 2 3 foot URI VHO's. DIY stand and hood (thanks to my DAD) and a whole lot of elbow grease.

Initial start up:

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
As you can see, i have added some more rock...this pic is around May of 2004:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
This is a pic of what the tank looks like today with the new halides on it:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Pic with the flash on:

Can you see my Green BTA which turned white on me???? If anyone can figure it out i would love to know why.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
My future plans are to turn the tank into about 80% SPS with some misc corals to fill up the rest. I have a CA reactor here all set to go but i haven't hooked it up yet.

I would like to say thanks to all here at RS who have helped me through my trials....this tank is as much your as it is mine (even though citibank owns most of it :) )

Thanks for looking...I will update it when the new corals arrive.

Bryan

Maxx

The BTA's bleaching could be due to the lighting upgrade. If you substantially upgraded the lighting and didnt acclimate the tank slowly to the more powerful lighting, the anemone could have expelled its Zooxanthellae which gives it its brown color and allows it to utilize photosynthesis for survival. Since its bleached out, you REALLY need to feed it regularly in order for it to survive. The Zooxanthellae will come back and the anemone will eventually color back up, as long as its being fed properly.
Good luck,
Nick

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well the BTA went white about 2 months ago...maybe from the bad PC lighting (at 2 months ago, there was 8 months on the lights) I have been feeding him because i suspected this but nothting yet...hope the lights do it.