One-Spot Foxface color

ScottT1980

Hey guys, I have done a number of searches but have been unable to find the answer to my question...

I have a foxface that has lost its yellow, dorsal coloration (it is now a black line). I have had this guy for about a month and when I bought him, he had that nice yellow coloration but ever since he has been in my tank, the dorsal region has been consistently black. In fact, I haven't even seen any of the yellow come back during the past month. I know it is not unusual for them to change colors intermitantly but how about maintaining this color consistently? Indicative of some sort of stressor?

My water seems to be in good shape, all other inhabitants seem to be in good shape as well. Everytime I test the water it looks good and I ahve a grounding probe to offset any stray voltage. It is in a 55 gallon, something that I was worried about from the very get go, and this is the only real stressor that I can imagine. I feed mush (mysis, shrimp, oyster, nori, garlic, formula one) once a day and I also suppliment the foxface's diet with nori and Caluerpa every other day (I want him to take out some of the algae in my tank so I try not to overdo the greens).

Is it normal to have this coloration or is this something I should really be concerned with?

Thanks
Scott t.

wooddood

the wood dude
sorry to say this scott but when mine did that he did'nt last much longer.i know thats not what you want to here.and that may not be your case at all.just my personal experience.hope all turns out well for you good luck with him.does he still swim around or does he look a bit off?

ScottT1980

Oh no, as far as I can tell, his activity level has been normal for the entire month that I have had him. He eats well, mingles with the other tank mates well, and seems to be healthy other than the dorsal coloration.

The LFS I got him from holds fish for at least 30 days before selling and I know they had the foxface for at least 45 days. I might get in touch with the owner to see if it lost some color while he held on to it.

Thanks for the concern wooddood, I will just keep my fingers crossed...

reefshadow

hi, ScottT-

I'm not sure either... both of my vulpinus are the bright lemon colour. The classical stress/night colouration for them is a mottled camoflauge brown/yellow/beige covering all of the body. Both of mine were sickly specimens from substandard lfs's. I never noticed anything like you're describing. Both of mine are in the 4-6 inch range, how mature is yours? Alot of fish take on different colour features w/ maturity.

If yours is feeding normally and not showing any signs of stress, I wouldn't sweat it too bad. How are its respirations?

What type of diet are you providing? Foxface should be fed much the same fare as most tangs, lots and lots of macros if possible, and some kind of seaweed food like "selects" or "sea veggies" brands, with the emphasis put on these foods rather than meaty fare.

Here's a pic of one of my heathy lo vulpinus.

hth!!!! Becca:)

reefshadow

oh, sorry Scott. I see that you posted the diet you provide. How much live rock do you have in your 55? Lots of hiding places?

ScottT1980

My 55 is pretty packed, about 80# of LR (another hesitation for getting the foxface). Nevertheless, it seems to have plenty of nooks and crannies for it to hide. I didn't notice anything unusual about its respiration rate but I will check when the lights come on this AM.

One other thing is that the foxface flicks its dorsal fins almost all the time. I think this is normal but I have also heard that this can be in response to electrical current.

Who knows???

I might get some other sort of diet and try that with the foxface...

Thanks
Scott T

Cosmic

I can't say that I've heard quite what you are experiencing either. My foxface at home does flick occasionally, but I hardly think it's a detrimental reason in my case.

Sometimes it does take these fish some time to settle into a new system. If you have tangs or other algal grazers, it might take the foxface longer to adapt. While you may not see the other fish picking, it's still possible they are.

What about other environmental factors? A noisy pump adding vibration? A TV in the same room? Loud noises such as a speaker perhaps? Sometimes it's things NOT in the tank that stress our fish out as well. Got a cat perhaps? :D

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Cos