?Old Tank Syndrome?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Personally, I only use Polyfilters now. I have a gallon of unused Black Diamond Carbon in my "fish trunk" gathering dust.

Macro algae, IMO, are excellent exports of nasties. I am unsure of exactly what chemicals they absorb as they grow but my thinking is they are substantial! Maybe that is just me being optomistic :)

forestal

I was there for Julian's lecture at IMAC and one thought seemed the strongest to me, that the corals (especially if they are from different areas/habitats) through constant allelopathy become sensitized similar to antibodies in our system...so some species of coral become impossible to keep and the general health of everything becomes inhibited and slows the growth, so the remaining corals don't thrive, reaching a homeastasis of growth and inhibition....(not my theory-but makes a lot of sense)

btw, i am still less than 2 years in the hobby, so no experience even close to this myself :)

Mad Mike

forestal said:
I was there for Julian's lecture at IMAC and one thought seemed the strongest to me, that the corals (especially if they are from different areas/habitats) through constant allelopathy become sensitized similar to antibodies in our system.

I don't know if I agree with this. I would think that constant exposure to something would have the oppsite effect for exaple a flu shot. Even corals from the same area of the globe are competing for space and having little chemical wars in our tanks every night some corals win, some loose.

OTS sounds to me more like a system breakdown then anything. I think were closer with the ideas of biological exhaustion and toxic buildup on rocks and sand beds.

Really good slide show on cause and effect of ammonia Interesting read what I found most interesting was the part about nitrifiing bacteria. It really sounds like a cycling breakdown.

forestal

could be.... hopefully some day we (meaning they hehe) will figure it out and we can know how to prevent it...I hope some day to have my tank up long enough to worry about it :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I would like to fast forward into reef keeping relm about 10-15 years... I can not imagine what we will have learned by then~~

Brucey

Warnberg said:
New Tank Syndrom, Old Tank Syndrom... what next?

NTS, OTS . . . . Surely you;ve heard of BNTS and NOTS

Barely New Tank Syndrome and Nearly Old Tank Syndrome

Brucey
:smoking:

Warnberg

Like I said what next? RTS... oh no I have RTS.... reef tank syndrome.... symptoms include, cronic low balance in checking account, credit cards maxed out and unsightly high electric bills..... cures include, but are not limited to... finding a second job, hitting the lotto and putting the kids to work.....

ScottT1980

Woodstock said:
Good point Scott.... but.... Wouldn't carbon adsorb these 'hidden" element(als)? If that is the case, then those reefers that use carbon intensively, their aquariums would not experience OTS?

Sorry it has taken SOOOOO long to get back to this thread, been busy finishing up a thesis...

I think it is a question of affinity, and chemistry is certainly not my forte. I think carbon is a great, great thing for those of us anal enough to use it. However, as Cougra alluded to, many of us are not and from everything I have read, it get saturated pretty quickly. So, that means that a lot of the time, the substrate would bind more strongly to these impurities than the carbon. I would see this as an incredibly gradual process that even the most anal of us probably could not stop...

But then the question goes back to phosphate. Some aquarists with DSB think that after 5 years, their tank develops OTS. This nullifies the gradual process, ASW impurities hypothesis a bit. Phosphate saturation is highly probable, but again, I would blame this on algae blooms but not neccesarily OTS. So, these short term OTS incidences have to be the result of something us right? I think mojo blames it on biological filter dynamics, but even that is a vague concept (at least to me). So, I don't know, perhaps OTS is too vague a concept and our systems are too complex to really get a definitive answer...

Take er easy
Scott T.