Old Tank Syndrome

Witfull

Definition: The undecomposed fish wastes and other solid matter that accumulates in the aquarium as a fine, brownish, fluffy material requiring periodic removal by siphoning.

wickjr

I have heard the term OTS a few times, but never had it explained this much. Scary stuff to say the least. The idea of a sand bed or LR becoming oversaturated over time makes total sense to me, though I am a nebie to reef tanks. It seems that no matter how well you filter or clean a tank, there are just too many places for detritus to go to be able to get it all. Over time, this stuff has to build up. Could OTS be as simple as the gradual clogging of pores in rock and sand causing the different types of bacteria to decline in numbers to a point that they can't keep up? Also, I am not currently using any mechanical filtration on my tank. I was in the beginning, but since adding a sump I don't anymore. The parameters have stayed a lot more consistent, especially nitrate, since I stopped using it. Did I do wrong by elminating it? I still use a skimmer and phosban, but allow high water flow, LR and sand to keep the tank right.

Witfull

manual removal is needed from time to time, i use a canister filter (VortexDiatom XL) to suck out dead spots where stuff accumulates and settled under rocks.
as far as clogging, yes they can clog, thats why you need to blow off the rocks occationally.

the Theory of OTS is more than just that. its a saturation of the rocks/sand with compounds and elements.

heres an example; DSB adsorbs Po4 until saturated. now, deed at the bottom, pH is lower and causes disintegration of sand. P04 is released. as it rises, it may be adsorbed by the sand above it, but if this sand is already saturated,,,,where does it go? the water column.and we know P04 is algae fuel.

can this apply to beneficial elements as well? can there be a rise above the "good" levels?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
dead spots where stuff accumulates and settled under rocks.
as far as clogging, yes they can clog, thats why you need to blow off the rocks occationally.

This is a case where proper maintenance is necessary. I think that people get carried away with the amount of rock they place in their tanks especially if you have a DSB, this in turn leads to alot of dead spots between the rocks and to a buildup of detritus/mulm etc. I blow off the rocks detritus a couple of times a week and it's amazing how quickly detritus can buildup. It's also very important to have good strong flow throughout the tank to keep detritus in suspension so that it can be removed. I also think that that besides having a very good skimmer, it's very important to increase bio-diversity {filter feeders} so that they can help control nutrients in the tank, I did this by mixing different kinds of rock fiji/lalo/aquacultured.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
can this apply to beneficial elements as well? can there be a rise above the "good" levels?

It's possible especially if you're adding supplements it's very easy to overdose. I think people forget that they're supposed to be TRACE elements... as a matter of fact Robert Fenner mentioned this as one of the primary reasons for algea problems.

mps9506

cheeks69 said:
It's possible especially if you're adding supplements it's very easy to overdose. I think people forget that they're supposed to be TRACE elements... as a matter of fact Robert Fenner mentioned this as one of the primary reasons for algea problems.

Oh yea. I totally agree here.
You aren't oly adding the trace elements that are listed on the bottle, but you are adding everything else that is in that solution as well...

wickjr

I also blow off the rocks regularly and siphon out loose detritus that builds up.
I have a HOT Magnum with a micron cartridge that I use immediately after water changes/cleaning, when there are loose particles floating around in the water. It is my understanding that constant mechanical filtration is not a good thing for reef tanks because it filters out the tiny particles and critters that benefit the tank. Is this true, or should I add some additional mechanical filtration. I could hang the magnum on my sump permanently if needed.
The sand bed example makes sense. And with the porous nature of the LR, I could see how it could become saturated as well.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
wickjr said:
It is my understanding that constant mechanical filtration is not a good thing for reef tanks because it filters out the tiny particles and critters that benefit the tank. Is this true, or should I add some additional mechanical filtration.

The problem can be that mechanical filtration could become biological leading to nitrate problems if used continually. What I use is a filter sock but machine wash it in bleach on a weekly basis to prevent this from happening.

Witfull

i think the cliffnotes version to avoiding old tank syndrome,,,keep on playing, keep on playing~

once you sit back and think,,,,"ok,,i dont have to do anything now", not only have you lost the passion, but sentenced a tank to slow decline and sudden fall.

Charlie97L

also, i've read several places that changing out the sand every 2 years or so is a good idea... you can keep a few cups (depending on the size of the tank) to reseed after the new sand is in.

i would think that most reef tanks might need to be "re-invented" every few years with a major cleanup. but we tend to do that anyway, i think.

meandean45

Great Thread! Maintainance, Maintainance,Maintainance, and then more Maintainance! The Idea that "if it works, don't fix it" is just plain wrong, not only in reefs, but anything else in life that is worthwhile. My dentist always said "if you ignore your' teeth, they'll go away". I believe him now (I've still got MOST of them).
If you settle back to watch instead of being actively involved with your' tank, I fully expect that you'll get to watch it go into a slow, but steadily increasing, downward spiral that one day leads to "Oh no, my tank is crashing"(I speak from past experience here). It's my belief that OTS is really ignored tank syndrome. I got very complacent early on, and had the symptoms of OTS after just a year and a half or two. Yup, it crashed, and it took about two years to set it right after this "Benign Neglect".
I was very diligent again for a couple of years, and my tank thrived. Yup, time to "Sit back and watch again". Some of us have to learn the hard way twice!
On a more positive note, I've gotten off my can, and have things headed in the right direction again. Research is being done, the algae is on the run, weekly water tests are again being performed (and on a LOT more parameters than before), water changes have become more regular and larger, and, surprise!, my tank is looking better every day.
Beware the Ignored Tank Syndrome!
Dean