Nuisance Algae?

shy519

Hey everyone :ofr:

I have this pinkish-redish algae that is making giant mats on the floor of my aquarium. So what can I do to prevent it? My clean up crew includes a turbo snail, and decorator crab, a shrimp who doesn't really work, and two dwarf hermit crabs.

Thanks,
Shy

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Shy :wave:
Pictures would really help with an ID.
Kinda sounds like Cyanobacteria to me.
Post pictures & more tank info (like how long your tank has been running)
There's plenty of help and support here, probably be best to see pictures tho.

shy519

I went to my local aquarist and he told me it was most likely a cyanobacteria and that I should change my water flow and make it heavier, or to buy hermit crabs, or to get a chemical that will get rid of the cyanobacteria. I got 5 hermit crabs bringing the total amout to 7 hermit crabs, I also purchased an emerald crab who seemed to like the bacteria rather than the hermit crabs.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If it's on the sand bed only, it's usually easy to "roll up" & siphon out. Being careful doing so, you shouldn't lose too much sand. If your tank is less than 6 months running you will probably be seeing more nuisance outbreaks. :(
Try to avoid use of chemicals, as some will destroy your good bacteria levels.
Be sure to keep up your weekly WCs. Extra flow does seem to help keep detritus from settling in spots & feeding the Cyanobacteria. Keep it blown off of any corals that it settles on, so that they can get light & food. Try not to over feed your tank.
I'm dealing with it on my (new) refugium walls (not on the sand)....I know your frustration.
I have more snails ordered but had to delay their shipping date to due our currant ice storm. Hang in there!!