north pacific biotope

ntueller

I'm going to try somthing i think is new. I live in alaska. My 200g tank has 4 really nice tropical fish. I've researched building it up to a reef with corals, live rock, live sand, and a more diverse look than the coral skeletons that decorate it now and have decided... Its to expensive to and geographicly difficult to do what i want with a tropical biotope. I'm a commercial fisherman up here and have had access to a myrad of bizare and interesting fish and plants for years. therefore i'm gong to try to set up the north pacific biotope. A local friend is a diver up here and is going to set up a similar, 100g tank this summer. We figure that by late summer the water can be up to 65f so thats when we'll collect. In the meantime, i'll sell the tropicals, collect some local water, sand, and "live rock" (i believe it has a different apperance up here, pepto bismol pink, dark green kelp like starters, and small crabs, but is still the same idea.)
My idea here is to have a basically selfsustaining biotope that showcases some of the more unusual species up here. some small rockfish(china, vermillion and black) a halibut or two(we find juviniles in the net at 1-4 inches with some regularity) a small irish lord (very spiny, and with a vibration like a rattlesnake when threatened) some shrimp and crab, also a few annenemonys(sp?).
Has anyone tried this or know somone who has? I have been unable thusfar to find any information outside of the sealife center in seward, alaska.
Any potential problems that might stand out to an outside perspective?
would love any comments or advice.
thanx,
nathan

P.S. have not decided yet on the water cooling method, may purchas a large chiller designed for aquariums or may pipe the filteration water through a small refrigerator.

Tarasco

I know that there are people out there that have put together coldwater aquariums. Usually the chiller is the main difference, it needs to be large enough to cool the water to the desired temp. I think Steve Weast has one over on RC, you may want to pm him for more details. His username is steveweast.

Sounds like a cool idea. Let us know how it goes.

BoomerD

Temperature control and condensation on the outside of the tank are the main challenges in keeping cold water species. IMO, you'll need much more than a fridge to do this and keep the temps stable at somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees. You should also check with the Alaska dept of fish and game and see what if any permit might be required to keep what amount to gamefish.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
One other thing that comes to mind is compatibility and requirements of what you plan to keep. There's not alot of info on a cooler biotope at least I haven't seen it.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
nathan - good luck with this project. I think there may be some coldwater marine fish groups out there somewhere that could answer more specific questions. See if this article helps at all: Cool/Cold Water Marine Systems. I know this tank is a little pricey and not very attractive....it will keep the water cool! Jewel Oceanic 55