HELP! Nitrates/Phosphates/biopellets/GFO/NOPOX/Neonitro

JurisHP

Dear All: I have a 180G mixed reef tank, and have had NO3/PO4 issues for years. I am running Carbon, and 2 months ago, started using BRS Biopellets. I am also dosing NOPOX. When I started with the biopellets, I stopped running GFO (in my BRS dual reactor--the other chamber is where the carbon is). Today is the 8 week mark for the biopellets. Upon testing today, my PO4 levels have finally come down (.36), but I want them down even further. My NO4 levels have not budged. BRS recommends that the biopellets run for 8 weeks, and during that time shut-off the UV Sterilizer and stop dosing GFO.

Can I keep the biopellets running, and at the same time, dose NOPOX and/or Neonitro? Or is that a bad idea? I have gotten mixed answers from BRS on this, and don't want to dose too much OR dose things simultaneously that may result in some sort of chemistry disaster.

Thanks for any help.

DaveK

I would run one or the other. Since the biopellets seem to be working for you, I'd stick with them.

Using multiple products can sometimes result in creating a really bad imbalance in the tank.

Time is critical. Systems such as biopellets take some time to really get working.

Above all, how does the livestock look? If everything is doing well, don't be in a rush to change anything. Also, don't chase numbers.

What are your current readings for nitrate?

JurisHP

I would run one or the other. Since the biopellets seem to be working for you, I'd stick with them.

Using multiple products can sometimes result in creating a really bad imbalance in the tank.

Time is critical. Systems such as biopellets take some time to really get working.

Above all, how does the livestock look? If everything is doing well, don't be in a rush to change anything. Also, don't chase numbers.

What are your current readings for nitrate?
ALL of my livestock looks great. My Nitrates are off the charts high (over .64)

DaveK

With nitrates that high, you will likely need to reduce that by doing several large partial water changes. It's very hard to get a high nitrate level down any other way. Remember a 50% water change is a 50% reduction in nitrates.

Next think to do is look for sources of nitrates. Often them main cause is over feeding or overstocking the tank.

MatroxD

Typically, pellets should take care of your Nitrates.. Your pellets probably haven't broken in yet.. What I would suggest, versus adding another carbon source such as the nopox, is to add a bacterial inoculation source.. I've used mb7, zeobak, and Dr tims.. But I normally use zeobak to jump start my pellets(I normally soak them in saltwater and zeobak for 3 days before adding them to the reactor).. But the same applies for the MB7. You can use their beginning program doses, and generally, that will Kickstart or speed up the process..

But, as long as you have enough pellets in your reactor, your main concern is going to be not stripping the water, which adding another source can easily do.. Pellets especially when they first kick in..

From note 5.. rip note 7