Nitrate issue

AngieRN

My tank is over 4 years old and I've never had any real chemistry issues. Four days ago, I checked my parameters because my bubble tip anemone suddenly shriveled up. Knowing that anemones are very intolerant of parameter changes, this was my logical first step. Test results showed pH 8.2, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 60, Ca+ 420, PO4 0.4, salinity 1.024. I've done a 25 gallon water change and today my nitrates are even higher, reading 80! I haven't changed anything at all in my tank. No new additions; the last addition was over a year ago. Nothing has died, no new equipment. My fish seem happy and the only sign that something is wrong is the bubble anemone. Maybe I need to just take it out of the tank? Is it possible that it got sick and is contaminating my tank?

Before you ask, no, I do not do regular water changes. I know this is highly recommended, but honestly, I've never seen the need, as each time I have tested parameters, they have consistently been at or near 0 for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates, Ca+ levels fall in the range of 400-420, and salinity is kept at 1.024. I use RO/DI water to top off the tank anytime the level falls.

I'm out of ideas! And this comes at the worst time because I have a 125 gallon tank in the garage I'm getting ready switch over to

Pat24601

Double check your test kit. First thing I would do is verify that my test results are accurate. Either get or borrow another kit (or even take your water to your LFS) to double check your results.

I second this. I wonder about the test. I'd hate to see you take dramatic action when your process has been working for you for four years and have it just be a faulty test.

If the test is right, then maybe test your water change water. I'm having a tough time explaining nitrates going up after a water change...assuming I read the post correctly. I could be missing something, but it seems weird.

Im not an anenome expert, so I can't really help much with that, but the water parameter things strikes me as odd regardless.

DaveK

Test your new SW. It's possible that is high in nitrates, especially if your not using RO/DI water. If your getting your water from your LFS, that could be a soource of trhe problem also.

With a nitrate level that high, it's no wonder your anemone doesn't like that, but this could also be for other reasons.

In any case, water changes are your friend, especially with other corals in there. However, don't go crazy and figure your going to fix everything with one massive water change. Since everything else is ok, make several partial water changes of about 1/3 the water, each change about a week apart.