New to SW - My RSM (Now 250) Build

RSMRyan

Slow and steady will win this race. I'm trying to teach myself to take this whole project one step at a time and plan far far ahead (as much as I can).

So far I've built the stand for the tank, which in retrospect may be a little large. I'm actually talking to someone in the Seattle area who might have an RSM 250 for sale. Oh shoot guys, I haven't started my tank yet and I already have bigger tank syndrome. :duh:
IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1338.JPG

RSMRyan

Wow. I finally went and picked up my 250, and I definitely made the right decision in going a little larger. What I didn't realize was that the couple who was selling me the setup was selling me quite literally EVERYTHING. I'm talking pumps, switches, controllers, books, all original boxes for most of the equipment, live rock, custom LED's AND the original fixture, custom sump, massive skimmer, custom ATO container.

The one downside to it all....I have no idea how everything connects, at least not exactly. I have a decent idea how the Apex and ReefKeeper controllers all connect, but managing what should be controlled and what should be basic power is driving me nuts. Will post some pictures later of all the stuff I snagged.

I've heard that filter socks are a pain in the arse, so how would I effectively get rid of it while still maintaining good filtration?

Oxylebius

Sounds like you scored big! How's it going? There is usually a large group of Apex users online where you can go to, to figure out the basics.

I personally don't run filter socks as they tend to collect pods. I'd rather have my pods free to move about. I run a very basic tank filtration wise: skimmer, activated carbon, and siphoning the sand w/water changes. I use a very long pipette to blow off the rocks every three days or so and I blow the bottom of the sump weekly to move particles around (which the corals eat, the skimmer picks up, and the syphon picks up with water changes).

RSMRyan

@Oxylebius It's going well! I'm really struggling to get my skimmer to remain constant. It seems that as much as an 1/8th in change in water level causes it to overflow....

Oxylebius

How that skimmer working for you now? New tanks can mess with skimmers. And sometimes it just takes time and patience to dial the skimmer in.

RSMRyan

Still struggling to get it set just right. I did find out that the second air hole tube was not supposed to be covered (as was done by the last owner), so I went ahead and uncovered it. Seems to be a little less finicky, but it's still not quite consistent with pulling skim. Either too water and overfills or not enough to get skim to the top.