New tanks

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
One of my staff has a 75G tank she wanted to sell and I had finally talked my wife into letting me get it (she didn't want to lose any more space to another tank yet). Then today she calls and lets me know that she has just bought a 30 gallon tank with stand and hood from one of our LFS. She has officially been bitten by the reef bug. She wants this one for her office at school.

She then called me from our other LFS and aksed about some corals she wanted to buy for my 75 at the house.

I may have created a monster...LOL

Does anyone know of any suppliers that have good deals on live rock going on?

TIA

ReefLady

Staff member
Not sure of live rock deals, but congratulations on converting your wife to the dark side. :)

essmaker

PREMIUM
That's actually great to hear Sorcerer! My wife has also agreed to let me get a new tank, right after we finish the basement! :(

I think it might be a while.

mkpaulson

in a short while she will be trying to convince you that something in your tank will look better in her tank :jabber:

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
Thanks for the links and for the good comments, I'll try and keep everyone updated on the progress...

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
Picked up the tank the wife bought today and it turns out its a 37G. The canopy isn't wide enough for the PC lights I have. The tank is 20" deep and we are planning on a 3" sandbed. I wanted to get opinions on MH lighting. Do you think that 1 175W 10K will do? She had planned on softies and fish but since the MH would allow she would probably add some LPS. No plans for SPS in this tank, possibly a clam. Thoughts?

Maxx

Yeah, with the way your describing it, I think you could get away with it. But I wouldnt necessarily go out and buy a 175 w set up. If you've already got one thats one thing, but your gonna go out and purchase a new set up, I would go and get either a 250 w MH set up or a 150 wat HQI DE set up....just my opinion. As far as clams go...I would suggest a Crocea, (when the tank is set up and stable) if using the 175 and putting it at least midway up on the rock structure. Crocea's are more light needing than Derasa's, but will burrow into the rockwork, over a period of time. Derasa's wont, and you would have to be concerned w/ the clam falling out of the rock work unless secured proplerly. BTW I have a Derasa in a 20 H under a 175w 10k AB, and that thing's growing like a weed! I purchased it this summer, (june or july..can't remember) and its already added 3/4 of an inch to its shell....Croceas are a smaller clam overall.....and probably wont out grow your tank.
Nick