New Tank

BoomerD

I guess that's one way to do it Mike, but look at it this way, MOST of the equipment you will buy for freshwater won't be of any use when you go salt. Why not just go salt from the start, and save a few $$$? We'll be HAPPY to help you spend your $$, ;) and help you avoid the stuff that is junk. Be careful of the guys in the LFS, all too often, all they want is to make a sale, and not usually on things that are very high quality.

Mike Crabtree

First off I found this tank at a salvation army. Paid $60 for the works. I dont know what I want from this tank, but I cant do it in fresh water with this size. I filled it and am starting my cycle with goldfish. This will give me time to learn some stuff...I dont know enough to do this on my own(sad to say) but will prevail....Looking forward to it. MC

Reefreak

Welcome to RS MC
I'm with BOOMER....Go salt! If you go slow and learn all will be fine.
If God wanted us to have freshwater aquariums two thirds of the planet wouldn't be saltwater.

Barcochris

Mike, I started with FW like a lot of people do, and have since switced to SW. I think that the basics are the same but that is it. If you want to end up with SW go now. Otherwise you will spend more moneythen you have to. One thing to think about is the fish. I am not sure were you live but getting rid of my cichlids was hard, I do not have a good LFS so getting rid of them was no fun. If it is info you are after you are in the right place, I have found this site to be most helpfull. No one has ever said (that I know of) Oh know its him again. I say ask away and go SW, most important HAVE FUN

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
:welcomera to RS Mike! Ditto what our other members have said. So many great people here. Everything I learned about this hobby, I have learned at RS and Star Trek too! :rolleyes: Maybe that last comment ought to go in Witty's geek thread?

Cheers!
:thumbup:

Reelheel

Don't be shy, Mike. If you've got questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We're all learning all the time, so you'll fit right in here. There's a lot of knowledge on RS and you'll benefit greatly if you get some advice before you make any important decisions.
Good luck with everything, and please let us know if we can help!!

amee6730

:welcomera to the Sanctuary!

I would read everything I could get my hands on reguarding setting up a reef or saltwater tank. (you're in the right place to start!) My mistake was just jumping in head first listening only to one person's advise. Read up on sumps, lighting, different coral and fish care/requirements, maintanance, cycling, substrates, etc...then make your decision based on what you've learned, your cash flow, time, etc. Get many different opinions before making a decsion about anything.

But then again, you are on a saltwater site, so I say...go salt, go salt! :whstlr:
(just this one person's opinion)

Witfull

fill the tank with blue raspberry jello and plastic fish,,,,easy to care for and fun at parties,,,lol

welcome to RS, enjoy what ever way you decide to go, that is the most important thing!