new tank, bought some live rock, what this?

newtothis

I JUST set up my tank (3 weeks) we have 2 blue fish (can't remember what they are called) and a shrimp.
I bought some live rock and the day after I put it in I noticed a little worm like creature on the sand. It's cream colored, but almost clear (you can see brown insides so I know it alive thing) it has many legs on the underneather, but really small now.
I was realing somewhere online about aptasias, could this hitchhiker be bad?
It popped off the rock and hasn't been back since, stays in the sand and just sits there. From time to time it will stretch out almost scorpion like and then other times coil up line a rolly-polly worm.

Any thoughts?

ReefLady

Staff member
Sounds very much like a bristle worm. Not bad (most people think they are beneficial) as long as they are not large (less than 4" thereabouts). It's nice to see the beginnings of life in the tank!

Reddog170

Without a pic is is almost impossible to ID. If I were to guess I would say some type of bristle worm. What size is your tank? What are your parameters? It just seems to me that three weeks is just not long enough for a full cycle to occur. Stocking early will get you right where I am. Which is working my tail off just to get thing back in order. Now i am at almost three months in and in about another month I will be able to start putting things into my tank again. Let me say it before you hear it from everyone else, SLOW DOWN. This cannot be stressed enough.
Do not hesitate to ask questions, we answer what we can and what we do not know we help you figure it out. Welcome to the Rs family. We love pics here, Shaun

ReefLady

Staff member
Here is a pic of a bristle worm from Reefclips.net

Bristle_Worm_1.jpg

newtothis

Without a pic is is almost impossible to ID. If I were to guess I would say some type of bristle worm. What size is your tank? What are your parameters? It just seems to me that three weeks is just not long enough for a full cycle to occur. Stocking early will get you right where I am. Which is working my tail off just to get thing back in order. Now i am at almost three months in and in about another month I will be able to start putting things into my tank again. Let me say it before you hear it from everyone else, SLOW DOWN. This cannot be stressed enough.
Do not hesitate to ask questions, we answer what we can and what we do not know we help you figure it out. Welcome to the Rs family. We love pics here, Shaun

Ok, I'll take that. You tell me. It's a 55 gallon. We have raised freshwater for years, but it's a totally new adventure to salt. I ADORE the looks & thought of a salt tank, but SCARED to death!

The tank was established with well water.
It's 55 gal. & I used 2 bags of live and 1 bag of dry sand. I only put in 6 pds of premium rock. lots of goodies on there.
I have had great water tests for 3-4 weeks, is that not enough?
The fish store (ver reputable one, not just a cheap place) told me to add these little blue fish (damselfish, I think) to start the cycle. Today I just added a shrimp. Do you think that was too soon?
I don't yet have a wave power thing or anything else special.
I'm using a Aqua clear 500 with sponge and charcol filter.
They told me to do nothing for the first month and then do a 25% water change.
Since tests have been stable.... amonia was like .25 @ highest, I thought it would be OK. Thoughts?

newtothis

Here is a pic of a bristle worm from Reefclips.net

Bristle_Worm_1.jpg

Wow! your fast. thanks so much for helping me. I don't know if I will ever learn all the ends and outs. :fishy:
Ok, I took a look and took this pic in to see and yes both me & my kids (their eyes are btter than mine) think this is VERY similar. Ours is VERY small (again a little smaller than a standard rollie polly bug)
Mine is not as "shiney" as this pic, it's more sandy or chalky, but it's very close.
Ok so no worries now and I guess it's OK to live here.

ReefLady

Staff member
Keep in mind that every reef tank is different - so what I say, someone else may disagree with. :) That said, here are my thoughts....

The tank was established with well water.
You're probably going to want/need to use RO/DI water. Well water can be notoriously high in metals and dissolved solids, and sometimes phosphates.

I only put in 6 pds of premium rock. lots of goodies on there.

Most people try to put somewhere around 1 pound or 1.5 pounds of rock per gallon of water.

The fish store (ver reputable one, not just a cheap place) told me to add these little blue fish (damselfish, I think) to start the cycle. Today I just added a shrimp. Do you think that was too soon?

A lot of stores recommend cycling with fish (I guess because they sell the fish). It's not recommended, and not necessary. Most people use a cocktail shrimp to cycle (the decaying shrimp will produce ammonia which will start the cycle). To do this with fish really stresses them with the high ammonia levels cause by the cycle. That and you are typically left with a couple aggressive damsels (if they don't die). I'm not sure you've actually gone through a full cycle in 3 weeks. I'd agree that it's probably too early to start adding livestock

Are you looking for the tank to be fish only, or do you want to eventually have corals? What else (if anything) are you testing for?

ReefLady

Staff member
Ours is VERY small (again a little smaller than a standard rollie polly bug)
Mine is not as "shiney" as this pic, it's more sandy or chalky, but it's very close.
Ok so no worries now and I guess it's OK to live here.

There are many variations in color, size, thickness, etc. Just watch your fingers in the tank. The "bristles" are like cactus spines and are extremely painful.

newtothis

Ok, I'll watch my fingers, it's so small now that it's no threat.

I agree that I didn't really want the damsels and was afriad of the the agressive nature of them too, I may have to give them away later.!

No I don't want fish only, Totally looking forward to a reef tank.
and read about the 1.5 of live rock, it's just that with salt, filters, meter, test kit, etc.., etc.. this is what I could afford.
I will add more rock as I can afford.
Locally it's 13.00 a pd for premium and 8.00 for live.

I am going to try to look online and see if it's cheaper there.
Right now I still only have standard bulbs in the lights, and store said to add better quality light (50/50 ones?) anyway that another 38.oo so I am waiting and doing things slow. Trying to remind myself that this is a "hobby" and can established over time.
I think Hubby is getting frustrated that I took over his fresh tank and it's so bare! LOL!
As for the the RO water, I don't have access to that so....? well is what I have.

Is there a page on this site that might be good for me as a newbie?

Do you think that I would be better served to just spend money on rock instead of fish right now?
I assume that this will help cycle?

Now that I have added this pricey red fire shrimp today I hope that he's OK, sure seems happy cleaning away on the bottom & rocks.

newtothis

What else (if anything) are you testing for?[/QUOTE]

Everything that is in this "super kit" which was 40 bucks!
Nitrates (2 kinds), Ammonia, PH, and some more things that I don't have in front of me right now.

So how will I know WHEN to add the fish?
Ammonia has been 0 then .25 then .50 then .25 now it's between 0 & .25 (today's test)

These damsels were not eating this expensive food the store sold me (frozen formula 1) because they only wanted to eat from top of tank.
I figured that the fact they let food sink to bottom and not eat them was the reason the AM was up a little.

Today I bought Formula 1 in flake and they like that a lot better (& it's cheaper)

ReefLady

Staff member
Agree that it is a very expensive hobby. Hold on...it will get a lot more expensive.

You might find rock cheaper online, but you will pay hard for shipping. It's worth poking around. Keep in mind that adding LR in a ny substantial amount will likely cause another cycle.

If you are going to want a reef tank, lighting is going to be one of your biggest expenses. $38.00 is no way near what you'll need to support corals -- closer to probably 10x that. Sorry, not exaggerating.

As for the the RO water, I don't have access to that so....? well is what I have.
I would really suggest that you look into either a home RO/DI system, or possibly see if a local SW fish store sells RO/DI water. Tap/well water will almost always contribute to nuisance algae and other tank issues.

Is there a page on this site that might be good for me as a newbie?

yes... trying to dig it up (sorry, my brain is tired/mush)

Do you think that I would be better served to just spend money on rock instead of fish right now?
I assume that this will help cycle?

yes & yes. LR will (should) be your main source of filtration.

There are a couple really good books out there for SW/reef "beginners" - one is "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner.

Let me dig up a couple links for you.

ReefLady

Staff member
Everything that is in this "super kit" which was 40 bucks!
Nitrates (2 kinds), Ammonia, PH, and some more things that I don't have in front of me right now.

If you want to go reef, you're going to need tests for calcium and alkalinity as well. Also a refractometer to test salinity (reef or fish only).

So how will I know WHEN to add the fish?
Ammonia has been 0 then .25 then .50 then .25 now it's between 0 & .25 (today's test)

Search this site for information on the nitrogen cycle. You're going to want to go through a full cycle of ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate.

Reddog170

I had the same results the first few weeks, then BANG ammonia shot through the roof. That is the start of the cycle. After the ammonia comes up then the Nitrites followed by the nitrates. Once the ammonia is at 0 then the nitrites will fall to 0 then water changes to get nitrates to 0 or close. This is not an exact map just a quick guide that I was told. Can you get water from your lfs? It is a pain I know, that is how I get my water, but well worth it. Also something that I have found that people forget about with saltwater tanks is when doing there tank maintanance they forget to inspect the electrical connections and plugs, a five minnute inspection of the electronics can save your home. I know what you mean when you say that you do not know if you will ever get it all figure out but you will. You will have problems that drive you nuts and times where you can do nothing but look at your tank and smile. This hobby is awesome. And look, we are ALL here for you. Problems, ask found something new share just want to chit chat about the tanks and stuff, chat 9pm eastern sundays. And everyone here suports everyone else here. And that book that Teri suggested is a great book I love it. $44 on amazon.com . Well good luck and cant wait to hear more from ya, Shaun
P.S. Just an idea, but why not start a chronicle on your tank so people like me can follow it along.