New members' Tanks Forum question

How to set up the members' tanks forum?

• I want to be the only one who can reply to my tank thread.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Let any member reply to my tank thread

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Broccoli is yucky. Beyond that, I have no opinion here.

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Originally posted by reefrunner
It's awful close for either...maybe two forums, members tanks and members tanks discussion.

Based on the voting it appears that Kevin has a great suggestion:)

Witfull

Originally posted by reefrunner
It's awful close for either...maybe two forums, members tanks and members tanks discussion.
Originally posted by cheeks69
Based on the voting it appears that Kevin has a great suggestion:)
this is why a love our members,,,always thinking! this will also be discussed.

PS i editted everyones votes so they reflect how i think it should be,,,LOL,,,JUST KIDDING!!! i havent voted as to remain neutral..but i do like broccoli!

addict

I voted that I wanted to be the only one to reply to my tank thread, and here's why...

I've already done it the other way at TRT, and like people have been saying, the cross-conversation gets a little 'noisy' at times... there's also the 'equity' factor... you'll get one person's tank that has several replies and kudos, and others that hardly anyone has looked at.

I agree that it's more like a TOTM gallery for each member... questions about specifics can either be PM'd (and then posted to the thread by the member if desired) or asked in the General Discussion... I'm not sure if we need a 'Member Tanks Discussion' forum as well... we've seemed to be doing fine so far just discussing them in GD.

That's JMO anyway... looks like the 'any person posts' are winning... :D

ScottT1980

How about the original poster just state in the first thread that he/she would prefer for no one else to post in the thread? Would that come across the wrong way to our new members? That would be my only fear...

Just trying to think of ideas, I am kind of torn on the matter and I like broccoli so I suppose I can't vote ;)

TAke er easy
SCott T.

Michael_Lambert

Is there any way..

To give members the options to close there own threads??? That why they could close there thread if they do not want people to post to it.. and just reopen it to make there additional post.. and then reclose it?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I would vote for the open thread if it didn't get out of control, and what i mean by that, is i would like it to stay specific to the matter at hand..."the members tank".

Now don't get me wrong....i love all the replys here, but i think it should be more of an informational thread than a kudos thread.

Please, Please don't take that the wrong way but i am trying to find a happy median for everyone.

As nigel says...cheers

ReefLady

Staff member
Tooloud, that's a heck of a question... I'll look into that!

Kevin, really like your idea as well. Great ideas guys, thanks!

mps9506

With this new forum can we have the option of checking a box that makes travis come over and click pictures of our tanks for free??? :p :D

ReefLady

Staff member
Yes, check the "purchase round-trip ticket" box at any of your favorite airlines and I'm there. :)

jks1

I voted for only the thread starter being able to post. I think some threads will become much too long, and I kinda like the idea of a chronological record of the tank.

I like the idea of having other members posting at any threads.It gives us the choice to answer,to agree or not too.
It will also motivate the members to give their opinions,ask questions,participate and correct our/theirs mistakes.
Sometimes having an open threads gives us the opportunity to learn from others members expertises so we could later communicate with them for further questions that we might have.
I like brocoli too it gives me the reasons to come here and de-gas!.

VINA

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I like brocoli too it gives me the reasons to come here and de-gas!.

Just make sure I have my gas mask first:D

I like the idea of having other members posting at any threads.It gives us the choice to answer,to agree or not too.
It will also motivate the members to give their opinions,ask questions,participate and correct our/theirs mistakes.

That's a great point ! I have read a couple of threads at RC of people starting or upgrading their tanks and in these particular threads things were pointed out by other members that really helped these people and by making the necessary corrections saved them from potential problems in the future. Were these threads long ? Yes absolutely but I can assure you the people that were helped weren't complaining because of the lenght of the thread some were even honored to get so much attention.

I understand that for some people it may be a problem reading thru 20-30 pages so I say 2 forums. JMHO

ReefLady

Staff member
With this new forum can we have the option of checking a box that makes travis come over and click pictures of our tanks for free?
Now, I think I like that suggestion best. :D

I can totally understand the logic about the 2 forums, but I'm thinking it might get a bit confusing -- especially when, maybe a few months down the road we have some new members - it might not be as crystal clear.

What about - if in the new forum, only the tank owner should post, and then if they want to 'display' their tank for public discussion (or if someone else wants to ask questions about it) - they (or the person with the question) can just make a post in the general reef forum, which includes a link to the Members tank thread? Would that work?

Just trying to keep this as simple as possible. We'll definitely look into and discuss all suggestions ... thank you!

mps9506

Originally posted by ReefLady
Now, I think I like that suggestion best. :D

I can totally understand the logic about the 2 forums, but I'm thinking it might get a bit confusing -- especially when, maybe a few months down the road we have some new members - it might not be as crystal clear.

What about - if in the new forum, only the tank owner should post, and then if they want to 'display' their tank for public discussion (or if someone else wants to ask questions about it) - they (or the person with the question) can just make a post in the general reef forum, which includes a link to the Members tank thread? Would that work?

Just trying to keep this as simple as possible. We'll definitely look into and discuss all suggestions ... thank you!

That makes good sense to me.
I don't like the idea of two forums with essentially the same content. You can only categorize stuff so far...
I personally like the idea of replying in the thread, but I have no problems with a forum in which only the creator can reply and then we can just link to the thread in the General Discussion forum.
It is simple and I think should satisfy everyone.
Now we just have to figure out how we will all split travis's photo time fairly :D
Mike

maffu

why are we picking on broccoli?

the upside of being able to reply is the exchange of ideas that newbies like me benefit from tremendously.

Equally its important to acknowledge that the ppl posting pics should be able to hear the public feedback- which in many cases is complete respect and awe at the achievements of a fellow reefer...

it takes a lot to put the evidence of your hardwork and dedication out there for criticism, and as such it would be a shame to deny them the opportunity to get the praise and respect of their peers...

the downside of course is pages filled with simple 3 or 4 word responses of praise in between real content

I suggest we cant have one without the other... but back to the broccoli... I like it.... and dont get gas... hmm does that mean I win?

Tarasco

Originally posted by ScottT1980
How about the original poster just state in the first thread that he/she would prefer for no one else to post in the thread?

I think that this is good if the "anyone can reply" option is voted for. Just write a little note saying "If you have any questions, comments, or just want to tell me that I'm cool and I look like Brad Pitt please PM me and I'll make sure to reply," or something similar in the beginning or end of your initial post.

Broccolli makes me gassy and my pee smell funny. :p