New Jawfish seems to have disappeared

zenzence

Hello,
I got a new blue spot jawfish I put him in display and that is the last I have seen of him. I really dont see how he could have gotten out of my red sea max 130. I really dont think he died because my shrimp and hermits are not eating him plus a fish that large dead in a 34 gallon tank would certainly cause a nitrate spike.
So is it normal for them to stay hidden for almost a week now? Is there anything I can do to entice him to come out of his burrow or wherever the heck he or she is??

Thanks

tnwillia

Watch for the sand plumes where he's digging. He will come out once he feels safe. Mine seemed to be going 24/7 see if you can spot him under a red flashlight after lights out. Hope he's OK!

lcstorc

They can definitely hide for a number of days. I forget how long my female was missing but I had presumed she was dead for quite a while then one day, there she was. Mine are in a larger tank so harder to find, but I would not give up hope. You will rarely see them at night since they close their burrows to sleep so your best bet is to look at feeding time. If the tank is overcrowded or has an aggressive fish it is likely to stay hidden longer.

DesertOrchid

Mine disappeared for over a month!! Found it one evening before lights off just hanging around in it's burrow in a secluded corner. Hope your little guy is okay! Good luck finding him.