New Clam will not open completely?

swadly

I inspected it for predators and there were none. The foot has a shell the size of a penny that appears to be wedged in the foot area! Its been in tank for 3 days. I placed it on the floor of the tank about 30 inches under the GHL mitras lx. It is setting on a older clam shell. Tested water everything is in line. Salt was a little low so I am slowly increasing that 1.022. Will post pics when I get home!

80 cube

Thanks for any help

How do you post pictures?

Last edited:

SantaMonicaHelp

RS Sponsor
I am also intrigued by your clam. I hope it was just a matter of time for adapting.
To post pictures there is an option in the middle tool bar of the replying box to insert images from the computer ;)

-Nancy

kare-bear

This seems very worrisome to me. I had a clam that I inspected thoroughly at the store, seemed healthy. I acclimated it properly, tank parameters were great. I introduced it to DT, it closed up fully after a few hours, opened up the next day ( fell open really) it was mushy, loss of color, all my clean up crew was feasting and even in the shell. I removed it, and knew it was beyond recovery. So, my advice is to watch it closely, if it opens up make sure it is reacting to light, color good, extended as when you bought it. If not you could agitate it and see if the tissue is attached still and firm. If not, remove to QT tank until sure of death. 3 days closed is not good. I hope yours is going to be fine. Good luck. Watch it close. Possibly your low Salt levels was enough to stress it and it is trying to recover.

kare-bear

Oh, do a search on here about posting pictures. You do not have enough posts yet. If you want to post a picture of your clam you can look at some other posts and chime in. You will be sharing photos in no time!

DaveK

The original post is old, and the poster only ever made one post.
By now that clam is either long dead, or fully recovered.