new addition to the nano

hooterhead

well i've gone and done it again... we decided to go to some places in search of frags. i came home with what i was looking for and another addition to the family. a seahorse. it's black and was labeled a reidi but i haven't seen a picture on seahorse.org or oceanrider that shows a black reidi yet. they do have pics on liveaquaria though. guy said they were tank bred and all took frozen mysis which pretty had pretty much proven that for me. so he's in the 5 for now until i fugure out whether or not i'm going to set up the 30 hex or just get a new tank for it...and more...

here he/she is:
DSCF0641.jpg

and just to show how small it is. remember this is a 5 gallon tank.
DSCF0643.jpg

forestal

looks like either a reidi or kuda, if he is eating well, that is good, most will say a 5 is too small, chance are he may grow to twice the size when fully grown if he is a kuda...he looks a touch thin, (not too bad), witha nano, water quality may slip from feeding, you may want to set up a feeding station (small cup or shell) to feed at...she will learn quickly...when she is done feeding suck up the remains so it doesnt go bad in the tank...ideally feed 3x/day (i feed mine 2x)

she is gorgeous tho...one other thought-she may need some company (not necessary and definitely not in a 5 but a thought for future)

hooterhead

yeah like i said the wheels are turning and i'm thinking of turning my 30 gal hex into a reef/pony tank. i think it would be great......*evil grin

hooterhead

so i've found a guy that's selling his 70watt MH. whole setup for $100. do you think that would be enough to sufficiently light a hex. i'm only going to be keeping some zoa's, softies and macro's. the tank is 25" from top to table.

hooterhead

i have never used a MH before so i don't know what the rules and regs are. i'm not looking to have a knockout reef as i'm limited on what i can keep with seahorses. will the 70watt be enough for some zoas and leathers? i can also put the 36watt fixture that's on my 5 now to suppliment a little light. and the bulb for the MH is 20K if that makes a difference.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I think you'll be fine. The 36 watts will certainly help. 20 kelvin will have a bluer tint and less intensity than a 10k. If you get it, change the bulb to a 10k and you'll get a lot more intensity from it.