New 16g setup means ?s

Newt

Just purchased a 16 gallon nano tank! So you all should expect to see a new chronicle soon. The tank is acrylic and the dimensions are 30x12x10, so it should make for an interesting display. :) The only thing now is I'm going to have to figure out all of the plumbing. There are two 1/2" holes, and one central 1" hole, so I assume that the 1" is the drain, and the 1/2" are the returns. But there is no internal overflow box.

Question 1:
Should I just use a bulkhead fit with a strainer, or make my own overflow box?

I'm not sure how well an overflow box would work because the drain hole is not on the bottom of the tank, but on the back toward the top.

Surface skimming shouldn't be too much of a problem because I plan on putting a LOT of flow through this bad boy.

I'll post a picture of what the tank looks like, and if someone could possibly put together a diagram or direct me somehow so I can figure out how to plumb this correctly that would be great.

I know what I'm doing to plumb for the return lines from the pump (Mag9), well at least up to the bulkheads, but then I'm going to try my hand at locline...which I've never used before.

I need guidance....Too bad Tigah can't come hook up the plumbing to this. LOL :)

ReefLady

Staff member
Sounds pretty interesting!

The drain hole is on the right place to use a bulkhead/strainer setup, I had something like that on a 29G prop tank. It was kinda ugly though. Not sure if you can make a box with the hole at the top like that... hopefully someone better at plumbing will be along soon. :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Nanos are nice!! One of my LFS has a nano that is just awesome! This will be a fun project for you. I can't wait to see the pics~~

Wouldn't a bulkhead look better than an overflow box? :dunno:

mps9506

You'll have to use a strainer with that setup. I eye'd that tank up also :D
The overflow box would look nicer because it hides the plumbing imo.
If you are worried about noise from the drain pipe you will want to plumb in a durso to prevent gurgling.

Newt

Thanks all!

I was thinking that I would have to use the strainer... I can hide the strainer with a bit of LR though, so it should work out just fine. :) It should be fun... thanks guys.

Oh and for the locline return stuff, the adapter would just screw together with the bulkheads right?

Newt

b11e8886.jpg

9909b696.jpg

Taken by the seller, mps has already seen these...LOL

mps9506

If you want to screw the locline on the bulkhead, make sure to purchase the threaded bulkhead and not slip.