New 15 Gallon Nano

Michael_Lambert

So with the success of our 30G tank we are keeping, and with us upgrading the Canopy and lighting i have been left with this Eclipse 2 Hood sitting around.. So while i was cleaning my basement i came across this 15 Gallon tank i use to use just for mixing salt.. and decided to turn it into a Nano tank

So here we go!

Tank :

15 Gallon Tetra tank ( 24L 12h 12w)
Eclipse 2 Hood Built in pump (200gpg) and built in lighting ( 2x 15 watt Normal Output Fluorescents.

This tank is going to run the 30 watts of light, and a 50 watt heater, This tank will not have any sort of skimmer or anything.. It will just run the eclipse hood with the Single Bio-wheel and where the filter would go i will run Carbon.

This tank is primarily going to be used for Growing out , Mushrooms and Zooanthids to frag and sell to support my 100g

Michael_Lambert

And here we go.. just doing a water test.. lol and checking out the lighting..

Decided to run, 15 watt Actinic and a 15 watt marine Glow..

now ofcourse.. i was planning on just mushrooms and zoos.. but wondering if this would be enough light for anything eles? maybe a couple small leather frags.. but anyone have any other ideas?

thanks
Mike

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Looks good, are you going to run sand/LR in there? if you do, you could probably try some low light softies as well, you do have 2 wpg of light, so as long as you keep them towards the top they should be fine, and even tho they are NO flourescents, the tank is only 12" high, so there is not much water to be penetrated by the light.

Michael_Lambert

Yes i do plan on keeping sand , Going with Crushed coral just becouse of the high rate of flow..

As for keeping softies.. they will be more than happy in this Lighting.. to use the "Watts per Gallon" is really no longer vaild.. just becouse no all corals are the same or react the same.. Infact :) Higher up in the rocks i will be adding a Very Small Purple montipora to it.. Just to see what happeneds!

ReefLady

Staff member
Cool! And when you're ready, I think an eclipse2 will take a 2x32W PC retrofit. :D

T

Michael_Lambert

So going into day two..

To cycle the tank i used a filter bag and added some "Krill" to it.. let it sit overnight.. and removed it this morning..

As of 9 pm today, my readings are...

Nitrates 25
Ammonia 1.5
Ph 8.2
SG 1.025
Temp 79'

I have added in some live rock today.. added in about 10 pounds.. and once the cycle stops then i will add in about 5-8 more with Mushrooms on them.. and hopefully start my Propagating!..

Gina

RS STAFF
What a good idea. I know alot of people have a second smaller tank to raise and keep frags in. Someday, I would like to get one going. Sounds like alot of fun actually! For now, I will follow what everyone else does and learn from you guys. Keep us posted and keep the pics coming!

birdman204

I actually started with a 7g minibow, and recently upgraded to an 80G. people say the smaller tanks are harder to care for.. I think the 80 G is harder. a 1 g water change is easier than an 8 - 15 gallon WC :D Very good stuff man. say is the biowheel still in the HOB? they are notorious for raising nitrate levels. I would remove it if you haven't yet. Say, can I get some growout zoos :p