need input building a simple FOWLR tank

I decided to turn my 55 into a simple FOWLR tank. This process will be slow, currently my tank is brackish with SG setting between 1.015 - 1.019. My only concern is filtration, currently running filtration equipment when this tank was a freshwater.

Should I build a sump for a FOWLR tank, this is something I could do, just need to figure a good size for the sump. I know the lighting requirement isn't going to be that great like it would be for my 75 reef whenever I can get it everything for it.

If a sump is good idea, what would be a good way to handle the overflow? either a HOB overflow or drill the tank. If drilling the tank I know I would have to drain the tank to do this.

I need to do this with a very low budget, so any input is welcome.

Robzilla

A sump is a great place to hide all your equipment like heaters, skimmers, and chemical filtration. It also adds to the total water volume, helping to reduce the effects of amonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc.... You do not need a big tank to do this. I have a 55 display tank and have a 38 gallon sump that actually feels like it is way too big. A 10-20 gallon tank should do just fine. Just make sure you have enough room for equipment and you should be fine.

chris864

your specific gravity should be 1.020-1.025..i think you can use any size sump i don't think you need one with a fowlr tank most sumps are for reef tanks...u can put your heater in there or something

catran

+1-Robzilla's advice. Having a sump will help you hide equipment like Rob said. I'm going with a HOB overflow when I set up my 65g. I have to use a lifereef one but you can use a less expensive one like Eshopps....

Msigler

Hi Bobby. A sump is always a good idea just for the simple reason of having more water. More water is always better. I can't remember where I read it but "Dilution is the solution to pollution" has always sounded logical to me. Most FOWLR tanks are called that because you are going to keep fish that are not compatible with corals and most of those fish are big messy eaters. So a good skimmer is needed and a good skimmer always goes good with a sump. My first FOWLR (15 years ago) was a 55g that I converted over from being a cichlid tank did ok with a with an under-gravel filter and HOB skimmer until I decided I had to have a Humu Humu trigger. I found it so cool that he would eat right out of my hand. Long story short, my water quality became an issue and I never got it right until I added a sump/skimer and scrapped that UGF and HOB skimmer. I think a HOB overflow and any sump/skimmer combo is better than any non sump/skimmer setup. So I know I probably got off topic but Bob Fenner channeled me and I have had too much coffee today. Good luck :)