Need Advice on Restarting my 150g Fish w/ live rock tank.

Hi just a lil back ground info. My tank was set up as a nice reef with fish, then i had my son and just couldn't keep up with both. So I took everything living back to the fish store, and my live rock has just been sitting in the tank wit water partially covering them for the last year and a half, no pumps, lights or filters running.
Now I want to restart my tank as fowlr.

Do i have to take all rocks and gravel out and buy new? or can i add new live rock to the old dead rock?

The equipment i have right now that is still working is a Marine Emperor 400 power filter, SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer, 2 Maxi Jet 1200, 1 Hydor Koralia Pump 1400 (it might have just went out today!), Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer, Nova Extreme T5 Lighting fixture only white light is working right now, Aqua Light Advanced HQI Metal Halide clip on light, and the Reef Keeper 2 Wave Maker and couple other timers.

Just looking for a lil help to get my self back on the right path, I have lots of books but none of them tell me about restarting a tank that has been sitting around! Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated! thanks

Mostly likely, a lot of your previous rocks bacteria has died off. So you can keep this old rock, but i would rince it off a little from a year of sitting. You will then need to buy id say 10 pounds of live rock (maybe less) to "seed" your dead rock and hopefully start a cycle. I would also improve your filter. HOB filters are a little outdated for current saltwater tanks, and with a fowlr tank, you might want a refugium to battle your fish wastes a little. If you can post pics that would be great, but i do believe you will want to clean your tank out and wipe it down really good, and maybe change the sand(not too sure if you can keep it or not but it will probably smell).

What is a good filter for this set up? I also had a Marineland Magnum 350 Pro Canister, but some how it got cracked and rusted out! I figured i would have to purchase better filtration and recommendations on filtration? I'm going to take a couple pics and post them.

Do you like DIY projects? Or more of the buy it so you can have it now?

There are a lot of different filtrations you can use. Aqueon has nice sump filters, Eshopps also does, and im sure more people will chime in and give their favorite kind of filtration. But i would deffinately reccomend a sump filter that goes under your stand or by your fishtank.

I have never tried any DIY, always wanted to try a couple projects. I want to try and do this on the cheap but Still keep great water. If anyone has any advice on DIY projects that might help in my set up i will defiantly take a look and give it a try. I have looked at the EShopps sump I do like that one but can i make a DIY Sump cheaper?

And im trying to post pics but its saying my pics are too big any idea what im doing wrong?

I appreciate your help.

I wanted to get something started on my tank after i wash the rocks off what would be your advice to start on? should i put salt in the water right now its just water in the tank no salt! Im going to take my time and get it up and running slow, i plan on trying a DIY Sump. I have looked at a couple of designs and i'm still looking, Have you done any DIY projects?