Need advice on Ca, Alk, Mg additives

Raoul5Duke

I've asked a couple of similar questions on this topic before so I appreciate everyone's patience. My Ca & Alk have been slowly dropping over time but have always been within acceptable ranges, so I have relied on WC and no additives. I realized over the weekend while testing for Magnesium for 1st time, that my Salifert Ca & Alk test kits are missing the plastic syringe tip, so my test results since I started testing (7 mos ago) have been reading higher than they actually are.

I retested using the plastic tip and below are my current results:
Date 11/1/2008
Temperature 81.2
Salinity 33
Spc. Gravity 1.025
PH 8
Nitrates 2.5 (S) 0 (API) S=Salifert API=API test kit
Calcium 350
Phosphate 0
Alkalinity 2.63
KH 7.4
Magnesium 1050

So, I just ordered some new Ca, Alk and a more accurate PH test kit. I also ordered the ESV B-Ionic 2-part Buffer and the ESV Magnesium additive.

Here are my questions. 1) based on the above results should I use these additives?? 2) It is my understanding that I need to raise Mg up in order for my Ca to be able to stay at a higher level. Should I do this first or can I supplement for this at the same time and raise all 3 together?

Additional info: 55 gal DT/ 38 gal Sump, best guess would be about 80 gall total since sump is not full, 60 lbs LR, 40lbs of Live Sand. Mostly soft corals, 1 torch and 1 open brain LPS, I acro frag is only SPS. All livestock "looks" healthy.

prow

i would bring the Mg+ up first. but not with a liquid sup. i perfer crystals like SeaChem Reef Advantage Magnesium. it will take alot at first to bring it up. here is a calc to use; Reef Chemistry Calculator
your salt might be low on Mg+ so test your new mixes and dose accordingly. then i would start to top off with kalk "lime" water.. use it for all your topoff water and just watch your Mg+ and keep an eye on your ph. thats what i would do anyway.

cbrownfish

You don't want to dose them all at the same time, as that would be counterproductive. There will be a specific dosing regimen with the ESV products, so follow that. The good news is that your levels are somewhat balanced, so equal parts of the products should boost your params into the correct range.