Nano-Tanks...killer or creator ?

cwrenge

There seems to be a new and very popular marketing item in the marine world . its called the Nano-Tank... has any one noticed at the aquarium shops. this new "fad" , and it's toll on the life forms in the nano ? so quickly things change in the nano.....(not quite a nano second tho ) i keep seeing these tanks displayed in shops turn very un sightly , in a short time....such a sacrifice to the life in the nano tanks.... is this acceptable to you all ...or do we dissapoint thoes who sell and market this fast destroyer of marine life.... speak out / speak up....we can , the marine life can't..... cwrenge , NJ. USA

Gina

RS STAFF
Hmm...the LFS where we shop has two nano set ups and both of these are incredible! They are so nice and beautiful, I have been tempted on several occassions to start one myself.

These tanks have been running for at least the two years that we have been going there. Is it possible that where you shop, just doesn't take care of their set ups like they should?

The draw back for me as far as nanos goes, is, the fact that I feel they require more work than a larger set up and if something does go wrong, it would probably crash alot faster than small mistakes in a larger tank.

Let's see what others have to say!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Nanos do take more work keeping the parameters constant but, like Gina, I have seen many successful and beautiful nanos.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I think Nano tanks are very difficult to maintain and prone to fluctuations especially salinity and temperature so IMO it should be left to more experienced hobbiests. It's not uncommon for them to be overstocked and with such poor filtration built in with no place for a skimmer it's a recipe for disaster.

Craig Manoukian

I agree with Gina and Robert on this - expert only I say for nanos. Overstocking is not limited to smaller tanks unfortunately.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Craig Manoukian said:
I agree with Gina and Robert on this - expert only I say for nanos. Overstocking is not limited to smaller tanks unfortunately.

True but with a larger tanks there are some filtration options to help deal with the heavier bio-load that are just not available for Nano's.

Last edited:

cronicreef

I've seen both. But the LFS by me buts up a 12gal nano fully stocked within a weak and sells it for $500. Everything looks great but I know better to buy it. They do this about once a month. People keep buying them but who knows if anything makes it past a month.

I would feel better starting one myself vrs buying one pre loaded withing a weeks time.

But don't get me wrong I'm not bashing nanos it's just the people that tend to sell them and should know better on what there doing.

I keep seeing nano kits to that come with all sorts of corals and inverts. More than I have in my 50gal. That makes me hot too!

Last edited:
My opinion is that it is the fish stores job to explain how to maintain them and also why not to over stock them. And explain how easily you can "lose control" of the tanks parameters. So as long as they are completely forward with the customer and explain everything to them then the customer should be able or at list aware of what it takes to maintain one. But it all starts wiht your local pet shop and how well they do their jobs!!!! Also i think as long as the new aquarist starts slow they can easily learn how to adjust parameters and watch their species closely!!
Shawn :)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
And explain how easily you can "lose control" of the tanks parameters. So as long as they are completely forward with the customer and explain everything to them then the customer should be able or at list aware of what it takes to maintain one. But it all starts wiht your local pet shop and how well they do their jobs!!!!

Well that's the problem ! Most LFS' care about one thing $$$$ they put profits above anything else. Nano's are also an easy sell for beginners "it's all setup for ya already just take it home and plug it in."

proud2bcanadian

I hated my nano. Just my opinion on them though.

But if you wanted to start one, the best way to do it IMO would be to connect in with the sump of a bigger tank, so that the water is the same in both tanks, and it'll be easier to monitor the changes in salinity, etc...

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
proud2bcanadian said:
.....But if you wanted to start one, the best way to do it IMO would be to connect in with the sump of a bigger tank, so that the water is the same in both tanks, and it'll be easier to monitor the changes in salinity, etc...

Excellent idea!

forestal

I just started a couple nanos...I think they are tough if you are just starting, but i find it relatively easy to maintain (not that mine are great)...i do 90 % water changes every week using the water from my sps tank that i am changing anyway...that way all are happy...

i even have a souped up prism on my 10 gallon...it pulls out a cup per week...only 1 month setup, so have a bit of hair algae issue, but i have sps and lps and gorgonian and sun polyps extended and doing well...

i just set up a 10 gallon sump for my 2.5 gallon (i still feel wierd admitting it, hehe)...i have my non photosynthetic gorgs in here, i can nicely concentrate food in here without causing a toxic sludge fest as i would in the 55 gallon...

cheers